News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Hiatal Hernia

Lauren - Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:05 pm

Had difficulty breathing for approx 1yr. Problem is worsening. Now occurs approx 10 -20x per day, 1-20min each x. I can pass air through my throat but experience a tight pain at the base of my neck - near collar bone. Most freq at night when laying down. Keep bed elevated at head. Have hiatal hernia - could this be a related problem? If not, what may it be?
 ckbruce - Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:19 pm

I am not a doctor, but I have had a hiatal hernia as well. I never experienced any of the symptoms you describe. Actually my gastroenterologist told me I wouldn't have any real symptoms from my hiatal hernia and it would go away either on it's own or if I lost about 5 pounds. Though I have many other physical problems, my hiatal hernia was one of the most pleasant to deal with. I would run it by your doctor though just in case.

Like I said, I am not a doctor but the symptoms you are describing, sound to me like anxiety and panic attacks. I have had them before and they are very scary but very real. This does not mean it is all in your head or that you are making it happen, though you may need something to help your anxiety. Just my opinion.

Hope you find out what is causing your discomfort.
Sincerely,
CKBruce

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here