News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Bad heart burn. Do I have a hiatal hernia?

waffenamp - Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:06 pm

I have recently been trying to gain weight as I am pretty thin. I started making protein shakes to try and bulk up a bit. Well a few days ago I made a pretty big protein shake made of oats, peanut butter, whey protein, and water. I drank one shake then about a hour later I drank another big one. I was pretty full after this. then decided to chew a flintstones multivitamin which made my mouth pretty chalky and dry so I poured a glass of water and drank that. Well after drinking the glass of water I felt really to full and is if my stomach was going to explode, and I might die. If somone punched me im thinking my stomach would have ruptured from being so full. Well it took like 3 hours for my stomach to kinda return to normal but after that I got heart burn which burnt my throat. Now 3 days later im still having heartburn. I guess my question is- is it possible I gave myself a hiatal hernia from over drinking and eating this large protein shakes with water? Im 28 5'9 165 pounds
 Debra Van Ness RN - Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:38 am

I do not believe you gave yourself a hiatal hernia. I do believe it possible that you put too much into the stomach within a very short period of time. Especially when we are talking about putting high fiber content into our stomach. The fiber will expand to some extent and make you feel very full. Nevertheless, it sounds as if it was just way too much volume for your stomach at once.

The heartburn could have been the result of reflux due to the fullness of the stomach itself.

Hiatal hernias normally have symptoms such as difficulty swallowing. Difficulty swallowing certain foods in particular such as breads. Sounds like you had no trouble getting it all down but just got too full too fast.

Best of luck. Please do consult your personal doctor if you notice that eating regular meals with normal amounts of food and still have this problem.

Debra Van Ness RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here