Question: Bad heart burn. Do I have a hiatal hernia?

waffenamp - Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:06 pm

I have recently been trying to gain weight as I am pretty thin. I started making protein shakes to try and bulk up a bit. Well a few days ago I made a pretty big protein shake made of oats, peanut butter, whey protein, and water. I drank one shake then about a hour later I drank another big one. I was pretty full after this. then decided to chew a flintstones multivitamin which made my mouth pretty chalky and dry so I poured a glass of water and drank that. Well after drinking the glass of water I felt really to full and is if my stomach was going to explode, and I might die. If somone punched me im thinking my stomach would have ruptured from being so full. Well it took like 3 hours for my stomach to kinda return to normal but after that I got heart burn which burnt my throat. Now 3 days later im still having heartburn. I guess my question is- is it possible I gave myself a hiatal hernia from over drinking and eating this large protein shakes with water? Im 28 5'9 165 pounds
 Debra Van Ness RN - Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:38 am

I do not believe you gave yourself a hiatal hernia. I do believe it possible that you put too much into the stomach within a very short period of time. Especially when we are talking about putting high fiber content into our stomach. The fiber will expand to some extent and make you feel very full. Nevertheless, it sounds as if it was just way too much volume for your stomach at once.

The heartburn could have been the result of reflux due to the fullness of the stomach itself.

Hiatal hernias normally have symptoms such as difficulty swallowing. Difficulty swallowing certain foods in particular such as breads. Sounds like you had no trouble getting it all down but just got too full too fast.

Best of luck. Please do consult your personal doctor if you notice that eating regular meals with normal amounts of food and still have this problem.

Debra Van Ness RN

|