Question: calcified Pancreas

memedenee - Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:44 am

For several years I have had a sharp shooting pinpointed pain from the base of my left ribs all the way to my back. It is not caused by anything I do it just comes when it does. My Gastro doctor did tests that show I have a Calcified Pancreas. My Pulmonary dr.did Cscan that shows spot that could be on a Lymph node and he told me not to worry about it. I did smoke for decades but don't anymore. All I know is something is not right in the area of my lower ribcage that also has small kind of long,size of a fingernail,lumps under the skin. The lumps are tender and move slightly under the skin. They do not show up on a Cscan. What tests should I have done and what specialty should I go see to find an answer to my issues. Could any of this be Orthopedic related? I am very confused but know something is going on in that area.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:12 am

With what little information that has been provided, my first guess would be that the swellings that you felt could be perhaps, neuofibromas(associated with neurofibromatosis type 1). One needs to look for evidence of cafe-au-lait spots,which are small patches of brownish discolouration(of varying shades of brown),'Lisch nodules' on the iris and other signs.
Neurofibromatosis shows an autosomal dominant type of inheritance.Pressure on spinal nerve roots may cause a radicular pain.

The other possibility is a condition known as 'Schwannomatosis' (especially, a variant called 'Segmental schwannomatosis'. In this condition multiple Schwannomas occur and can produce pain or paresthesia in the distribution of a nerve.

These are only probabilities.Only your doctor, after a thorough physical examination, may be able to arrive at a definitive clinical diagnosis.
 memedenee - Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:58 pm

Thank you for your time and interest. You have offered info that I will be sharing with my doctor and hope to find a cause and solution to my issues.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:26 am

Thank you for keeping in touch...

|