News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: calcified Pancreas

memedenee - Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:44 am

For several years I have had a sharp shooting pinpointed pain from the base of my left ribs all the way to my back. It is not caused by anything I do it just comes when it does. My Gastro doctor did tests that show I have a Calcified Pancreas. My Pulmonary dr.did Cscan that shows spot that could be on a Lymph node and he told me not to worry about it. I did smoke for decades but don't anymore. All I know is something is not right in the area of my lower ribcage that also has small kind of long,size of a fingernail,lumps under the skin. The lumps are tender and move slightly under the skin. They do not show up on a Cscan. What tests should I have done and what specialty should I go see to find an answer to my issues. Could any of this be Orthopedic related? I am very confused but know something is going on in that area.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:12 am

User avatar Hi,
With what little information that has been provided, my first guess would be that the swellings that you felt could be perhaps, neuofibromas(associated with neurofibromatosis type 1). One needs to look for evidence of cafe-au-lait spots,which are small patches of brownish discolouration(of varying shades of brown),'Lisch nodules' on the iris and other signs.
Neurofibromatosis shows an autosomal dominant type of inheritance.Pressure on spinal nerve roots may cause a radicular pain.

The other possibility is a condition known as 'Schwannomatosis' (especially, a variant called 'Segmental schwannomatosis'. In this condition multiple Schwannomas occur and can produce pain or paresthesia in the distribution of a nerve.

These are only probabilities.Only your doctor, after a thorough physical examination, may be able to arrive at a definitive clinical diagnosis.
Best wishes!
 memedenee - Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:58 pm

Thank you for your time and interest. You have offered info that I will be sharing with my doctor and hope to find a cause and solution to my issues.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:26 am

User avatar Hi,
Thank you for keeping in touch...

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here