Question: unexplained nausea

fitnessbabe2 - Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:08 pm

I'm working so hard, to find someone that is able to help me, at least give me a name, tell me what it is, so i can get some help.

So this is my situation: I been dealing with unexplained nausea for quite some years now. It started maybe my junior year in high school, I'm 23 now. Well I would get bouts of nausea that would last for maybe a night or so and then go away. They didn't bother me too much, I never ever actually get sick to my stomach just feel so awful that i could. Well then the bouts turned into a couple days at a time 3-5 days once or twice a month. I been to the docter when the bouts turned into daily, they put me on lexapro..which put the bouts back to 3-7 days, 1-2 time a month..they ran blood work on me, and every thing came back normal besides them saying I need to drink more water, which I am drinking more water :) Well then a year later, the nausea came back to daily; therefore, i went back to the doctor, ran more blood work and urine test, again. nothing out of the unusual the doctor stated. Therefore, the doctor thought maybe PMDD, got put on prozac and birth control, which made things even worse...complete really nausea..didn't want to go on with my life...just wanted to lay down and how to sleep...( never ever wanted to hurt myself though..just sleep because that is the only time it would go away.) But unfortunately I only can sleep at night time. Well after that scare, i was taken off those two meds right away...I currently wasn't taking any medicine. But I still had this issue, so I went to this free clinic because now I lost my health insurance because I turned 23, great, tried to get new health insurance but was denied because no one knows what is causing the nausea, which is crap! Well the free clinic suggested it could be two things one where my stomach nerve doesn't work properly and the other one was something with my ovaries, a tumor on it or something like that, so he said eat a low fiber diet/bland diet and take these meds for acid reflex..again his suggestion did not help me; therefore, i went off the meds because I wasn't feeling any better, so what is the point of taking medicine if it is not helping. I feel like I'm just a person that doctors push meds on me instead of actually figuring out what is wrong with me and treating the proper thing. So Now, its been over a month I believe and had constant nausea since end of june begining of july, something like that. My family feels help less, i jump down there backs and it makes me mad because I don't want to act like this nor feel like this. I been a health kid besides getting the stomach flu a few times in my life, like any normal kid would get. I need a cure for this...currently the only thing i am taking is vitamin d to hopefully help with my mood, My eating is very much affected, I can't eat like I would like to because of the nausea. Oh incase I didn't mention, when I went on lexapro I gained maybe 15 pounds over a 3-5 year period, since I went off all meds I lost maybe 5.6 pounds in the past year maybe...right now my weight is constant, so i don't think i'm malnourished. I also developed a new symptom sense being on the meds for acid reflex and stuff..I developed deep belches, I didn't have that before with the nausea, it use to be just nausea. The belches started after I took this pink/black pill for acid reflex. I tried I believe 3 different pills for acid reflex in hopes that the burps will go away too, but they havent. Also, no matter what I eat the nausea is there, there sometimes will be a weird taste in my mouth but if i chew a piece of gum sometimes it will go away, i really need help with this problem, with no health insurance I can't afford to go to the doctor to get random tests done that I can't afford. Oh did I mention, I'm a college student who is going to start clinical rotations on monday and won't have very much money coming in because clinicals are not paid.

I hope that I gave enough of what is going on that someone is able to notice a key sign of what this could be, I can't live with constant nausea at 23, i need to be able to function, to study, to live life to the fullest, to have fun, to be the old bubbly girl I use to be.

Thanks!!!! Can't wait to hear a response. I will be checking back daily :)
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:13 am

If all the commonly performed tests (an ENT consultation, i feel,is also needed to exclude middle ear disturbances)
turn out to be negative, in such cases, one may have to think in terms of unusual causes.

One such is what is known as 'Ictal nausea' with/without vomiting is a rare clinical manifestation in patients with partial seizures of temporal origin.An electroencephalogram will be able to sort it out.
If all of these are negative, one has to start to exclude non-organic causes.

About belching,i would like to repeat what i have already alluded to in response to another query.

There are essentially two types(my own classification!)...
- normal belching (comes suddenly, involuntarily)
- abnormal belching (here, a person belches, believing that there is a lot of gas in the stomach and voluntarily tries to belch it out).
When we eat, we swallow food, but swallow some air as well.How much air one swallows depends on many factors such as hurried eating without chewing the food properly (gulping the food!), talking a lot during meals etc.

Normally the upper esophageal sphincter is in closed mode to prevent atmospheric air entering the esophagus.It opens only while swallowing.

Compare this to what happens during abnormal belching...
the sphincter opens, there is no air in the stomach at high pressure to escape out,...so, the outside air enters the esophagus and goes into the stomach!This air may be belched out 'normally'. Then the vicious cycle starts all over again!

I hope this information will be useful to you.
Good luck!
 fitnessbabe2 - Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:37 am

Thanks for your responses. Although the seizure response does not seem like this is what it would be. I never had a seizure in my life, nor, do seizures run in my family. So for it to be seizure related to me is highly unlikely. I'm a healthy individual besides the nausea. I'm not over weight, I workout, I don't drink, I don't smoke, so I'm not sure about that one. As for an inner ear problem, that could be possible, I do get very itchy ears, which my doctor just told me to put some bendaril on a qutip and rub it in the ear. Maybe it is all related. I don't know.

Thanks for your input, plus I did take some dramanine one time for the nausea and it did take some of the nausea away. Hmm, you made me think now about the inner ear thing.

Thanks!

Have a great day :)
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:05 pm

Thank you for the update.
"Seizure" does not mean "convulsions" that one generally associates with epilepsy. Seizures can occur without convulsions. This "seizure activity" or "focus" can only be seen (in certain kinds of epilepsy) in the Electroencephalogram only.
Good day!
 fitnessbabe2 - Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:34 pm

Hello
Wanted to give you a follow up. I had someone talk with my doctor on my symptoms and see what he thinks it is and what to do. He thinks its my gallbladder. It makes since that it could be a gallbladder problem. My question is what is the outlook if it is the gallbladder what is the progonsis. I do not plan on getting the Proper tests done till I am allowed to get insurance because I can't afford to have the stuff done, but that will be very soon. I will be graduating soon.

Thanks!

Amy
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:37 am

If it is proven beyond doubt that it is due to your gall bladder, then the outlook is bound to be good, as cholecystectomy(removal of the gall bladder) would hopefully cure your problem.

|