Question: Experiencing Sulfur Tasting Burps and Vomitting and Diarrea

phiko73 - Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:25 pm

Back in Februrary of this year I ate breakfast at a restaurant where I had eggs, bacon, toast, and hashbrowns. Later that evening I began to burp the taste of sulfur. The smell was horrible and the taste was even worse. The burping continued into the night and I noticed that my stomach began to turn and moan. I knew I was going to throw up, and eventually I did. I thought it was food poisoning so I attributed it to that. Then, in May I experienced it again. The exact same thing happened. I had eaten at the work cafeteria that day and the food preparation has always been questionable, so again, I attributed it to food poisoning. About 3-4 weeks ago I had the same thing happen again, and there was nothing that I could think of that was causing food poisoning. I thought it could be the food from work again, but the food seemed alright. Yesterday, I experienced it again. In the morning I ate two breakfast sandwhiches with eggs and bacon and an orange juice. For lunch I had pizza. The pizza tasted well cooked and everything. Towards the middle of the afternoon I started to notice signs of indigestion. I was burping up a little bile, but this happens from time to time. When I was off work at 5 I started to notice I was burping quite a bit. I could tell the faintest hint of sulfur, but I thought it could just be the taste of pepperoni. As the night went on the burps got worse and worse. I girlfriend started to notice the smell, and then that is when I knew i was expereiencing it again. At about 10 pm I forced myself to vomit. It didn't work very well. Only a little came up. About 40 minutes later I felt bloated and gassy. My stomach was uneasy and so I went to the washroom. I had diarrea, but it was still pretty solid. Right after that I felt really sick and vomitted multiple times. Finally, I fell asleep after that. This morning, I felt ok. A little tired from lack of sleep is what I am guessing is the reason for that feeling. When I got to work again I had a bowel movement twice. The first one was fine, a little runny, but not bad. The second one was like a slop. Not water runny, but appearing to be more of the consistency of mud. This condition is driving me nuts and I've checked online for other people's experiences. I noticed that one of them was ulcers, a couple were bacteria, and another was lack of dairy in their diet. Let me know if you could please
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:52 am

Although many food stuffs are known to contain sulphur, smell of sulphur emnating from the stomach is surprisingly not common.

"Rotten egg" smell of volatile sulfur compounds (VSCs) such as hydrogen sulfide, methyl mercaptan, methyl sulfides etc comes from bacterial action on mainly proteins.
It is mainly the bacterial digestion that produces these compounds rather than enzymatic action.Most bacteria get destroyed by the acid in the stomach.
Thus, the chances of these gases being produced is probably more in the mouth than in the stomach (personal opinion).
Oral cavity is home to lots of bacteria - infact there an eco-system of the bacteria in the oral cavity.
Poor oral hygine results in bacterial digestion of the food stuff (esp: proteins) with resultant release of volatile sulfur compounds. This will lead to "Halitosis' (bad breath)-which often the sufferer may not be aware of.
But, the person may become aware of Halitosis under certain circumstances(personal opinion) - while belching (in confined spaces), while trying to sleep with sheet drawn over one's face (rebreathing) etc.
Once a person becomes conscious of this smell of sulphur(some may like it, others may hate it!),this may lead to a vicious cycle whereby a person becomes increasingly aware of it.
Lastly, one has to be aware of some conditions which increase the chances of halitosis (even in the presence of impeccable oral hygine) - namely Pharyngeal pouches, achalasia of the cardia and malignant tumors of esophagus.
I hope this information will be able to be of use to you.
Cheers!

I hope this information may help to explain some of your experiences.Good luck!

|