News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: I get cold sweats , rapid heart rate and discomfort

Washer93 - Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:26 pm

Hopefully you can help. I am on 30mg of Aciphex for indigestion . I have had three episodes so far in last 5 months and this past weekend . On two occasions I had not taken my aciphex for two days. This past weekend I had surgery for hemorrhoids and did not take it. I had general anesthesia. What happens is when my stomach and bowels are acting up, i will get a rapid heart rate, sweat, then a cold feeling in chest area and of coarse anxiety. I have had a nuclear stress test and every other test and it is not my heart. It is an offal feeling and want to know if it could be related to my gastrointestinal system. If I take tums the symptoms seem to subside. Its very hard to explain the feeling but i was hospitalized twice thinking i was having a heart attack. Can you possible help me ? My girlfriend is a nurse and thinks it my be some vasa-vagel response. I did cough so hard once that i passed out. Sounds sill but hoping you might have an answwer
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:18 am

User avatar Hi,
Occasionally, "Dumping syndrome" can cause this type of symptoms.

Stomach normally stores the food that we eat and releases the 'chyme' in a 'metered' fashion - little by little into the duodenum.

When the 'chyme' is suddenly released into the duodenum,
Dumping syndrome results.

There are 2 types of Dumping syndrome (early and late) based on the time interval between food intake and onset of symptoms.

Symptoms include sweating, nausea and vomiting, faintness and palpitations, increased heart rate and fall in blood pressure.

Commonly it follows certain gastric surgical procedures such as vagotomy, pyloroplasty, gastrojejunostomy, and laparoscopic Nissan fundoplication(for GERD).

Less frequently, it may be seen in people with unusually small stomachs(congenital) and, even more rarely, in those with no stomach abnormalities whatsoever!

I have provided this info so that one should think of all possibilities (especially the 'late' dumping, in your case). Good day!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here