News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Pains in my lower abdomin

Loretta - Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:36 pm

I was awakened last night with lower abdominal pains. This was on my left side. I could feel it more intensely in the back but could feel it in front as well. By mid morning it had moved to my right side. I have had these pains in the past and had tests done by my gyn. Everything was fine. The one thing I do notice is later when I need to have a BM the pain will disappear. Unfortunately I feel this pain hours before I need to go to the bathroom. I'm at a loss. What do I do about this? Is it something normal or is it important to have it looked at?

Loretta
 Kathy C, RN - Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:57 pm

Hi Loretta, you did not mention if you have constipation or not and when you do go what is the consistency of the stool?
 Loretta - Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:35 am

My stools are very soft...borderline diarhea after these pains.
 Kathy C, RN - Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:31 am

Hi Loreta, I would suggest you see a physician specializing in GI, A gastroenterologists. It could be som many things or nothing at all. What sounded most like what you describe is IBS-
Criteria for IBS Diagnosis
Abdominal pain or discomfort for at least 12 weeks out of the previous 12 months. These 12 weeks do not have to be consecutive.
The abdominal pain or discomfort has two of the following three features:
It is relieved by having a bowel movement.
When it starts, there is a change in how often you have a bowel movement.
When it starts, there is a change in the form of the stool or the way it looks.
Let me know how things go and good luck.
 Loretta - Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:40 am

Thank you for the help. I will start recording all of these pains and get in to see my doctor. I mostly get this when my cycle is about to start, but lately it has been more frequent and more painful than in the past. The more I read about this, the more it sounds like IBS could be the cause of the pain.
I will let you know what happens.
Thanks again
Loretta

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here