News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Frequent Stomach Cramps Irregular Stool Movements

zulu_kilo - Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:17 pm

I have been having stomach cramps, at irregular times, sometimes lasting several hours. This has been ongoing for around a month now.

I have been eating an almost consistant diet, even when I was away.

I need to go to the toilet every 2-3 hours, especially in the mornings, sometimes when I first wakeup, two visits within 20 minutes.

My stools vary everytime, from virtually 100% fluid, to constipation, then sometimes just ALOT of gas
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:21 pm

User avatar Hi,
If you happen to live in the tropics or sub- tropical regions, first thing you should do is to consult your GP and get a stool examination done to exclude helminthic infestations and parasitic diseases such as giardiasis or amebiasis.
Even otherwise, it is advisable especially if you travel a lot.
You complaint is fairly recent. In case it should continue, you will need further work up under medical guidance.
Good day!
 Kvincench - Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:37 pm

I have a similar case in which started on July 1st 2010. I think what i have is a stomach flu but i am not sure. i started feeling iffy stomach pains for a few days which turned into diarrhea a few days after. That ended, but i stll have irregular bowel movements. however, i don't have any other symptoms besides these inconsistent cramps in my abdominal section. These can come at any time but are the worst in morning when i wake up. During the day they are ok and only last for about a minute or so, and when they do, soemtimes i have to go to the bathroom and sometimes not, bowel movements may/may not releive it either. Also, it feels like there is a ball in my stomach at most times of the day, i cant really tell whether i am hungry or not, and eat whenever i feel somewhat hungry. This has been going on for about ten days now, i went to my reuglar MD and he says it is a passing virus, I was prescribed donnatal to releive the spasms that i get and i wondering if they are going to eventually subside or not.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:38 pm

User avatar Hi Kvincench,
Thank you for your post. Your symptoms are of recent onset. As my reply to zulu_kilo's question indicates, i feel that you also should start with a baseline investigation such as a stool routine. Your doctor presumably, may insist on it.This could very well be a passing 'flu'. Follow up with your doctor and in the event the symptoms happen to continue, may need to be investigated further.
Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here