News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Twisted Intestine

DCT3 - Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:14 am

I am 40 years old and recently had emergency surgery due to a twisted intestine. The doctor said he had to pin my large intestine up on my right side because it had fallen. What causes this? I was in a car accident which resulted in my pelvis shifting. Could my fallen intestine have been caused by the car accident as well?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:36 pm

User avatar Hi,
Your doctor perhaps meant a 'volvulus' (twisting). Volvulus can involve the stomach, small gut and large gut.Also there are entities such as 'mid gut volvulus'.
As your doctor said that your 'intestine was twisted", i exclude the stomach.

We are now left with the small intestine (which does not need to be fixed on your your right side), the sigmoid colon (which does not need to be fixed on your your right side as well),
two other possibilities remain..
- 'mid gut volvulus': midgut volvulus often presents within the first month of life.But late presentations have been reported.
- cecal volvulus.
I do not know which one was your diagnosis.

But, in all probability, they are not connected to your past trauma.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here