News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: SGPT, itching and hypothyroid

motu - Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:47 pm

Hello Doctor!
my age is 34yrs.
my SGPT is 324, reference range provided there is 0-50 and 324 is very very high, got it tested after i had a viral fever. my body is itching currently all over including eyes and ears. ithching is more on palms and on feet
from past few months i am continously having one problem or the other, like cold and cough and boils. i had two boils one after the other on nose tip. after that just 15 days back, i had medium size multiple boils on scalp on the area behind the ear on both sides.
after i got the boils treated i was attacked by fever, which was diagnosed as viral. past few months one after the other, some or the other problems keep hitting me.
Doctor, should i get thyroid tested? can thyroid be the root cause of all my problems?
apart from these from more than a year i am noticing a few problems like i find it difficult concentrating. i also think my memory isnt that sharp as it used to be. my muscles are becomming loose. my voice becomes harsh sometimes. i used to be a good singer long back but now i cnt sing like that. my neck back side looks hunched.
all these problems which i am noticing from more than a year just vanish when my periods come,i feel good for say 2-3 days and again the problems come back.
please help Doctor
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:49 pm

User avatar Hello,An isolated SGPT level of moderate increase with associated itching points out and the need to rule out Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease NFLD who can present with fatigue,and itching.You may need a few noninvasive techniques like an MRI,and ultrasound.If there is suspicion a liver biopsy may be indicated.Do get evaluated along these lines to make sure it is all fine.From your history there is no liver enlargement and goes against the above diagnosis.But all the same just suggesting a differential diagnosis.Ok?Bestwishes.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:04 am

User avatar Hi,
Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NFLD),as Dr.Jagesh has already alluded to,certainly needs to be excluded whenever there is an unexplained, isolated, elevation of a liver enzyme.
In advanced disease (with the onset of progressive cirrhosis), jaundice may supervene. Generalised itching, although possible, is not a common feature.May be worth looking for other causes of generalised itching (even if the diagnosis turns out to be NFLD).
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here