Question: HELP...is this my GALLBALDDER or possibly something else?

bluestreak - Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:35 pm

First let me give you a summary of what has been going on with my health the last month & a half/two months. I'm a 33 year old female. I don't smoke & am not over weight. For a few months prior to what I describe below I had had terrible heartburn & what felt like a burning stomach a half hour to hour after eating, not every night, but a couple nights a week. On January 4 I went to the ER for what I was afraid was a heart attach...chest pain, arm, neck jaw pain all right sided. They dismissed this as heart burn. I have since went through wearing a Holter Monitor, upper endoscope, colonoscopy, barium enema, Hida scan, abdominal ultrasound, pelvic/abdominal cat-scan, & am scheduled for another cat scan Friday. All tests have come back normal, except they found a small polyp in the gallbladder... Also a simple cyst & also what they think is a proteinaceous cyst on my right kidney (which is what the second cat scan is for). They are also sending me to a rehumatologist, because they are confused & can't figure this out...& think maybe it's fibromyalgia.

I have not had another bad attach like the one that sent me to the ER...but my lower right rib started hurting after the attack that sent me to the ER. Also in the same area under my left rib. Also have pain behind right & left shoulder blade. All of these areintermittent. They do think my gallbladder is still a possible culprit for some of the pain, & I can't really disagree--if I eat something greasy it's a bad thing. They want it removed, mostly over the polyp.

My questions. Could I still have a dysfunctional gallbladder even with a normal Hida scan? Would the gallbladder produce pain as well on my left side...under the rib? It pretty much mimics the pain I sometimes have on the right. Also the pain under the left shoulder blade? How about chest pain? Have had intermittent episodes of that as well... I went for about a week & half with hardly any pain anywhere...the first times in weeks I felt GOOD!!! Then I ate something two days in a row...(greasy)...& an hour later, each time...got really nauseated & belcked up a storm. Had aching in my right side & of course the left started up a bit later. The nauseation went away, but the aching has persisted. The nauseation is new, the first time's I had any real problems I'd just get stabbing pain under the right rib...

Help... I'm confused & so are my Dr's... I don't want to just cut the gallbladder out & have it be something else...

Heather
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:35 pm

User avatar This has been since March 01, you may know by know but if you don't - gallbladder pain can be manifest itself as pain in your shoulder called "referred" pain. Little stones may be getting stuck in the ducts and causing pain and when you vomit it may dislodge them so they aren't being picked up on the tests. Have you been tested for Crohns, Lupus, Kidney functions and have you had your Rheumatoid factor done? I don't know how extensive your blood work has been but if they are sending you to a Rheumatologist you've probably already had them done. If you can, and you don't mind, please let me know your outcome.
 bluestreak - Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:40 pm

Web-Medic,
Thanks for your reply....

I've had a few bad attacks since my March first post. I've never vomited with this pain, but have gotten very nauseated the past few weeks. Woke up every morning this past week ill... Tuesday night had an attack that seemed to last till Thursday night...pain continually got worse & nauseation persisted. Almost went back to ER Thursday, the pain under my right rib got very severe...but felt better yesterday. I do have a appt with my surgeon Monday. Setting aggravates the pain...laying down with a heat pack relieves it some. Have had a lot of chest pain as well, very uncomfortable to say the least. With the GB attack this past week-- I actually felt my GB twinge while eating dinner...then felt the pain shoot straight up in a line from that area-- into my chest over my heart....made me jump straight up out of my chair. That was very disconcerting... The Dr's all suspect it's my 4mm polyp which is close to the neck of the gallbladder, causing a restriction of bile flow. It is rather odd as sometimes I am able to eat certain things & not have much trouble...but other times WOW!!

My Gi Dr said nothing about Crohns when he did my colonoscopy. My stomach & bowels are all healthy. My kidney function test was fine. I could not get into a rehumatologist till the end of April. Not too many in this area... No mention of Lupus by any Dr's.

So far three Dr's say my gallbladder needs to come out. I was hesitant at first, still am a bit...but since these attacks have picked up, I'm more then happy to get it out... I just hope this IS the gallbladder & not something the Dr's are missing...

Heather
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:18 pm

User avatar I thought when you said you "blecked up a storm" you vomited, LOL :lol: . It sounds like your gallbladder but I was trying to think of things that could be checked before they took your GB out. Now that I re-read the whole first letter I see they did all the tests that would have found Crohns and kidney problems.

The reason I asked about Lupus is because some Doctors seem to tie MS, Lupus, RA and Fibromyalgia testing together and than send you to the Rheumatologist. I didn't know why you were being refered to a Rheumatologist but I wanted them to be thorough.

Please keep me posted on your progress, I hope getting your gallbladder removed is the answer. Do keep the appt. with the Rheumatologist just incase, they are hard to get in to see.
 bluestreak - Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:28 pm

Yep-- I mispelled belcked...opps...haa haa!!! :oops: I've been burping a lot...since this all started...

Myself I'm not sure why my GI Dr felt the need to refer me to a Rheumatologist, but it can't hurt...

Will keep post up to date...as I find things out..

Thanks again

|