Question: Pain in left waist area

Xeron - Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:53 pm

As stated above I have had this pain for around 3 days now and it started when we were installing a new dishwasher, Anywho, I was on my hands and knees pointing across the front of the machine putting on panels on the underside of it (my upper torso was twisted towards the machine but i stayed in that same spot to do it), I then got this slight burning sensation on my side and then it was gone, About 30 minutes later it felt like someone had blown up a balloon in the very same spot (right above my hip and below my ribcage).

I also have a laptop that i carry everywhere on my right shoulder (the strap is on the right shoulder and the bag is on the left side of mer, I lean a bit towards the strap, but it has never caused a problem like this before, and i have had the thing for about 3 months.

I have seen a doctor about this and he believes that it is just a stretched muscle or the scar tissue, where they had tubed me when i had heart surgery, had been agravated.

There are no other symptoms(no blood or mucus in the stool), other than the fact i find it a slight bit harder to use the toilet(# 2). Either that or there is nothing to push out.

I am 20 years old and am hoping that it is nothing serious.
so any help would be welcomed.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:07 pm

User avatar Dear Xeron,

Spasm or strain of the muscles is likely to be the cause. This usually results from wrong or heavy lifting, or following a sudden improper movement or maintained wrong posture.
Muscle spasm alone can cause the pain which can be an unidentified cause.

In these cases, self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain. Home treatment includes the use of analgesics, cold or hot therapy.
Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial.

If these measures fail to relief the pain or to improve symptoms in 48 hours, you should visit your doctor for better evaluation and for exclusion of other causes that need specific therapy.

Other causes for left sided abdominal pain include:
- GI causes like
IBS in which alternating constipation and diarrhea with abdominal distension are main symptoms.
Gastritis and GERD.
- Urinary problems like renal colick.

Follow up with your doctor is essential.
Hope you find this information useful. Keep us updated.

|