News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: xenical and IBS

violinchezy - Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:58 pm

Hi

My BMI is 43 and my GP wants to put me on xenical to help me lose weight. Unfortunately I have been reading about the side effects of xenical and I am worried about my IBS being aggravated by these tablets! :oops:

can anyone tell me is it ok to take xenical when you have IBS?

many thanks

Cheryl
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:55 am

User avatar Dear violinchezy,
It is good, that you have read the side effects and this is what every body should do for any medication he has to take. The most commonly observed adverse events in seven double blind studies using XENICAL was gastrointestinal upset which was related to the mechanism of action of XENICAL. GI disturbances included, abdominal pain, nausea, infectious diarrhoea, fecal urgency, rectal discomfort, fatty/oily stool, particularly after meals containing higher fat than recommended. These events occurred within 3 month of therapy but they were mild and transient for one week in most of the cases. However, from these studies XENICAL is contraindicated in patients with chronic malabsorption syndrome or cholestasis. I recommend you to go back to your doctor and discuss with him your fears to better understand his advice and to be aware more of warning symptoms that mandate therapy discontinuation, if he still believe that you can receive the drug.
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here