Question: Pain under right ribcage

silvercloud - Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:23 pm

I started having pain under my right rib cage last night. The pain is worse today, but not not unbearable. I have had my gallbladder removed, but a large stone was left in the common duct, and can only be removed by endoscope. This pain does not feel like the gallstone pain I have been having, which comes and goes, but it is constant. I have also had some congestion in my chest and coughing up a bit of mucous, but it does not hurt when I breathe deeply. I do not have medical insurance, and am still paying off the last ER visit to get the diagnosis that I still had a gallstone (which I already knew from the intense attacks I had been having.) Any suggestions?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:53 am

User avatar Hi silvercloud,
If there is complete occlusion or blockage of the common bile duct, it may cause persistent rather than intermittent pain. Do you have any yellowing of the skin, fever, or clay colored stools?
 silvercloud - Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:17 pm

Hi RNTDJ,
Thanks for your reply. So far none of the symptoms you asked about are present. I keep thinking that maybe it's a coincidence, and that it has something to do with the respiratory problem. I am so tired that I think I may just give in and go see the doc tommorrow. Since I have had my gallbladder out, and the stone is in my stomach, wasn't the common duct cut and tied off? Can I still get an infection from the stone? Has me worried.

Take Care,
S

|