News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: pregnant and gallstone

SOFTY - Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:57 am

i'm 8 months and 15 days pregnant and want a normal delivery due to monetary as well other issues(normal delivery is very necessary for me) but for that I need to have fat in this month...However, in the ultrasound i'm detected with a gallstone and becoz of that told not to take fat.

in ultrasound i was told that stone formation has just started. please let me know how can i get normal delivery in this case.....
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:29 am

User avatar Hi,
Cholesterol is an important constituent of the bile. Cholesterol is excreted by the body via bile, gets digested by pancreatic lipase and partially (50%) gets re-absorbed.The liver synthesizes cholestrol as well. Dietary increases of cholesterol are normally compensated in health by decreased synthesis.

Normal bile does not lead to stone formation(non-lithogenic).
Bile which is
- high in cholesterol
- low in phospholipids(mainly lecithin) or
- low in bile acids, becomes "Lithogenic".

The common, time-honoured dietary advice offered to patients with gall stones is to eat less fat.This is mainly meant to
- decrease gall bladder contraction in patients with biliary colic
- to rest the gall bladder and
- to reduce the chances of of gall stone formation in the long run(most gall stones contain varying percentages of cholesterol).

Fatty food causes the gall bladder to contract.The gall bladder must contract in response to a meal to empty its contents into the duodenum.

One of the factors which predisposes to gall stones is hypomotility of gall bladder.This is seen mostly in patients with cholesterol stones.

One of the dangers of a very low fat diet is risk of gall bladder stones induced by the hypomotility.

There is no clear, proven relationship between diet and gallstone formation. Low-fibre, high-cholesterol diets(high in saturated fats & trans fats),refined carbohydrate diets (white flour& sugar) and diets high in starchy foods may contribute to gallstone genesis.Obesity is a strong risk factor and obese individuals trying to lose weight rapidly are at a higher risk.

Fats as well as cholesterol are necessary for the body. But, what really matters is the TYPE OF FAT THAT IS CONSUMED.
Remember, that all fats have the same calorific value.

You are in the final months of pregnancy (unless there are contra-indications from an obstetric point of view), a marginal increase in fat intake over the short term should not cause you any significant harm from the point of view of gall stone disease (but may not be of great benefit either).
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here