Question: Feels like something is in my throat all the time

bubdud05 - Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:26 pm

I am 36 male, i have had a problem with swallow things, it feels like ther is something stuck in my throat a ways down on the right side. I have always had a hard time swallowing meat , this is different, it is for everything even when i just swallow saliva i feel it. When i drink things that are cold it makes it worse, i don't know why. I am wondering if i have acid reflux that has made a sore on the right side since i sleep on my right side and it could have came up very easily. I had my stomach scoped about 15 years ago and i didnt have anything there no ulcers, but a lot has chaged since then. If i could get an idea of what to do on this it would be great. It could all be in my head also i guess,
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:16 am

What you are describing is akin to a Globus sensation (Globus phryngeus).
This can be defined as a persistent or intermittent sensation of foreign body or a lump in the throat for at least 12 weeks.

Other symptoms which may co-exist are..
- discomfort in the ear,
- a Gagging sensation,
- difficulty in swallowing (Repeated swallowing does not usually resolve the sensation), &
- muffling of the voice.

The causes can be basically classified as..
- organic,
- psychologic, psychiatric or stress related.

The contributions of organic and the non-organic causes to the symptomatology in an individual case is difficult to quantify.

Some of the the more common organic causes are..
- gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD),
- upper esophageal sphincter (UES) abnormalities,
- drug induced esophagitis,
- enlarged lingual tonsils,
- extremely enlarged tonsils,
- epiglottic masses,and
- enlargement of the uvula (infection, allergic reactions, reflux induced, or even due to severe snoring).

As you have not mentioned the duration of your complaints, one may at best, say that there is only a 'suspicion' of this being a globus sensation.

You must consult your family physician who will be able to assess you and guide you.

It is probable that an upper GI endoscopy would be needed first. Other tests such as a 24-hr pH study may also be considered.

If the GI workup does not turn up anything significant, an evaluation by an ENT specialist may be indicated.
 quattro - Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:09 am

hi, i have exactly the same feelings, difficulty swallowing, and in the morning is worst, nasea etc, am also 36, male , phisically active. this all happend (i think) from being hit from behing in go gart racing, my head tilted backwards really bad, similar to whiplash injury , but there was no pain. sometimes i too think that s all in my head, also sometimes i get depressed not knowing what i have, its been 6 weeks now. next monday i m going to an ear nose and throat speciallist, maybe he finds out whats wrong.

|