News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: 4th degree external piles?

JohnDoe737 - Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:41 am

Over the past week, two lumps have appeared on my anus. I have researched about it and have concluded it is 4th degree external piles.
My symptoms are 2 lumps on my anus, constipation (or lesser amount of excretion) and itching and irritation, at current there has been no bleeding. I noticed these symptoms are close to the symptoms of Anal cancer with 'a lump near the anus, rectal bleeding, itching or discharge' but at current i have no bleeding or discharge.

is it common to make this mistake between piles and anal cancer. I am Unsure what to do and to whether i have piles or anal cancer?

thanks
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:31 am

User avatar Hi,
Firstly, 'external' piles can't be 'fourth degree'. Only 'internal' piles are graded from first to fourth degree.Internal piles usually present with painless bleeding which is bright red, painless and occurs at the end of defecation.

External pile masses are also known as 'peri-anal hematomas'. Unlike fourth degree (prolapsed) piles which prolapse from inside the anal canal, the 'peri-anal hematomas' do not belong inside.These could be painful if they are tense. These are presumed to be due to rupture of tiny veins at the anal verge during straining at stool.

I do not think you should be too worried of this being 'cancer'. However,you should consult your doctor who will be able to sort this out.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here