Question: Throat Tightness and Constant Swallowing

bradefreese - Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:07 pm

I have a question about a tightness in my throat I’ve been having for quite some time. I feel like I am producing more saliva then usual and I have constant swallowing due to this. When I swallow I don’t feel like I am able to completely swallow all my saliva and therefore my reflex is to swallow again. My throat is really tight and almost feels tired from so much swallowing. I find that I am burping a great deal too due to the constant swallowing. Sometimes when I burp I feel a bit of relief from the tightness. This tightness and constant salivating/swallowing seems to be worse when I stress about things, but I do notice it to some degree almost all day. It is also worse when I drink water because it increases the reflex to swallow. Food swallowing makes it feel better for short periods of time. It makes it difficult to hold a conversation with others at times because the reflex to swallow gets in the way. Please let me know if there is any advise you can give. Thanks!
 maiden75 - Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:31 pm

Do you have any anxiety problems? I had a similar problem and it seemed to all stem from being anxious. I focused on it so much that it seemed to get worse and worse and it was ALL I thought about, but when I was distracted it would get better or go away all together. Try to see if your doctor can prescribe you something like Xanax that will take your mind off of it and see if it's just your mind. What you fear your body will create. I never realized I had health anxiety/hypochondria until I stopped and saw how much I obsessed on everything my body did. I hope this is the case for you and you can learn to control it. Write back, PM me.....
 wstew82 - Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:47 pm

I have the exact same problem with the swallowing. think it is silent reflux. feel the incessant need to swallow, but with very little relief. did the anti-anxiety treatment help at all? i am wondering whether it stems from stress as well.... thanks.
 np - Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:24 am

I have problems with constant swallowing. This just started approx 2 months ago. I don't know if it is steming from anxiety. I went to the dr she stated that I need to focus on things like eating right exercising more. But my mouth seems to constanty salivate and this makes me burp and gassey all the time could this be from anxiey. I thought mabe something might be wrong because I too constant swallow.
 fogel - Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:21 am

I also recently have a constant tightness in my throat I’ve been having for quite some time (since mid Dec 05). I feel a constant need to swallow. When I swallow I don’t feel like I am able to completely swallow all my saliva and therefore my reflex is to swallow again. It feels like there is something stuck there. My throat is tight and I feels tired from so much swallowing. After I swallow I feel that there is some gas coming up. The G.P. gave me Omapradex (for reflux symptoms, but this only calms my stomach a little, it does not stop the belching or swallowing.
I find that I am burping or passing gas a great deal too due to the constant swallowing. Sometimes when I burp I feel a bit of relief from the tightness.
Food swallowing makes it feel better for short periods of time.
Since this has started I have lost about 20lbs in weight, and lately have little appetiteand increasing heartburn. I have been allergy tested so I am avoiding the foods that I cannot eat. I did an endoscopy in July 2002 and also the Barium Swallow which came up basically clear. My gastro told (Jan 19, 2006) that it's all in my mind go home and relax.
Can anyone help me get relief.
Did np get any relief ?
Thank You
 mcpanic - Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:15 am

i have suffered panic attacks for the last year, my latest symptom is constant swallowing/excess saliva. it sometimes keeps me up at night. i'm pretty sure this is stress related. how is everyone dealing with this? hope this resolves for us
 shinedowner - Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:28 pm

Hi guys
im 16 years old and i have a swallowing problem.
i always have the feeling i want to swallow, if had for about 1-2 weeks now on and off but now it seems to always be there.i also have the problem " Overactive bladder syndrome " well told i have. i worry alot about stuff and i dunno why.
When my mind is off me needing the toilet im fine. But when i worry about it its there :(. i also " think " that i have cancer because i worry :(. you think that me thinking i need to swallow and needing the toilet, and thinking i got cancer could be linked. most people reading this will find it funny because i worry etc :(. so please only comments which could help me.
 Bishop78 - Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:45 am

I have been seeing a doctor for this for some time. I had an endoscopy, CT Scan, and Tract x-ray done with all good results. The doctor originally believed it to be thyroid related but turns out it was acid reflux. After more tests we found that my body was creating more acid than my stomach could hold. To reduce some of the acid producing cells I was given Aciphex. I hadn't actually felt a problem with acid reflux, just my throat felt swollen, like it was always being squeezed. No lesions or wall scarring found but the Aciphex did get rid of my throat problems. You can also try Prilosec since most insurance won't cover Aciphex.

|