Question: Mucus in Stool - Help!

Gan - Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:31 pm

As far as i can remember i have always had a problem since secondary school with passing Stool. I have bad stomach aches and get bloated and all the other symptons of IBS. I went to the doctors as i found a bit of mucus in my stool - the Doctor put me on Lactolous. This didnt really do much for me. I stop taking it and when my grandad passed away in 2003 i got stressed with uni work and life and was diagnosed with IBS. I have recently been thinking that the mucus is still there and probably more than before. It is there all the time - when i have stool to pass and when there is nothing. When i pass wind sometimes it can be difficult and cause pain - sometimes the mucus just comes out - a big lump of it. Is this all part of IBS or could it be something else - and if something else how serious could it be?????
 Kathy C, RN - Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:03 pm

Dear Gan,
Symptoms that Cumulatively Support the Diagnosis of IBS:
Abnormal stool frequency (may be defined as greater than 3 bowel movements per day and less than 3 bowel movements per week);
Abnormal stool form (lumpy/hard or loose/watery stool);
Abnormal stool passage (straining, urgency, or feeling of incomplete evacuation);
Passage of mucus;
Bloating or feeling of abdominal distension.

IBS is a functional bowel disorder of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract characterized by recurrent abdominal pain and discomfort accompanied by alterations in bowel function, diarrhea, constipation or a combination of both, typically over months or years. A diagnosis of IBS has been reported by 10 to 20% of adults in the United States, and symptoms of IBS are responsible for over 3 million yearly visits to physicians. Research suggests that IBS is one of the most common functional GI disorders. IBS exhibits a predominance in women, with females representing over 70% of IBS sufferers.

The diagnostic criteria of Irritable Bowel Syndrome always presumes the absence of a structural or biochemical explanation for the symptoms and is made only by your health care professional after gathering a careful medical history and giving a thorough physical exam. Irritable Bowel Syndrome can be diagnosed based on at least 12 weeks, which need not be consecutive, in the preceding 12 months of abdominal discomfort or pain that has two out of three features:

1. Relieved with defecation; and/or
2. Onset associated with a change in frequency of stool; and/or
3. Onset associated with a change in form (appearance) of stool.
Hope this helps.

|