News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   



Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: pain on right side under rib cage

 glowy_002 - Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:47 am

I am 26 years old female who stays home with her son. I rarely exercise, occasionally have drinks. 5 months ago after eating chinese food I got a sharp pain on my right side under my rib cage, the pain got worst as the minutes passed. The pain went away but for 4 days afterwards, it would come back after I ate something. I went to the doc & he took an x-ray of my stomach & ribs, and he said it was normal except that I had a lot of stool so he gave me laxatives. A couple of weeks later I had an ultrasound which came out normal. A week ago I went for a power walk & after my big dinner, the sharp pain came back! It hurts right under my right rib cage & hurts more when I take deep breaths, yawn, sneeze or laugh hard. I went back to the doctor and she only gave me ranitidine. A day after the pain started getting worst so I went back & the doctor said the main concern for pain in that area is the liver and gall bladder, so they drew my blood & that came back normal. Now after a week it still hurts and now the pain radiates thru my lower back. I'm really concerned about this now & have no idea what it would be! Do you have any idea what this could be? Please I need your help!
 Kathy C, RN - Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:58 pm

Dear Glowy, My first impression upon reading your post was a gallbladder attack but apparently your blood tests and ultrasound came back negative? Does the area hurt when you touch it? Like a rib or chostrochrondritis? I would suggest going back to your physician and let him know that the pain is worse.
Its frustrating to say the least. I wish you luck.


Check a doctor's response to similar questions


advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application


 advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)



Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2016
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.