News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: need some help..surgery the cause of GI complications??

KMiller - Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:56 pm

HI-
This is a little bizarre..but I must ask...I had a belly piercing for like 2 years and it built up
some scar tissue just above my belly button so I had it surgically removed ( in Dec 2004)
Kinda stupid because it ended up causing MORE scar tissue..but my doc convinced me it would look better too.. Anway...since then I have had...what feels like some type of blockage in my bowels...its not that Im constipated because when Im able to go it is soft but it may be like 5-7 days without a bowel movement and I am so uncomfortable I could cry... I am only able to go regulary with taking Metamucil or Citrucel.. My GI doc did and Upper and lower endo and I only had one polyps but it was so tiny and he removed it.. Anyway it feels like my bowels are paralyzed.. Is it possible that the removal of scar tissue could have nicked some kind of nerve or blocked some artery to the GI tract?? Is there any other test I can have done?? Also what is used to evaluate the Jejunum and the ileum since the ^ endo only looks at the first part of the small intestine??. My gi doc seems to think its in my head but this is real. I am a 34 yr old female who NEVERRRRRR had this problem before. I am not comfortable with the fact that just to go Number 2 I must take a bulking agent EVERy DAY !!! I eat a high fiber diet annd drink lots of water.. What could this be and any advice on any other test I could have??? Thanks soooooo much in advance and any input is appreciated GREATlY[/b]
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:12 pm

Hello KMiller :)

I assure you that the Belly Button piercing has got nothing to do with your bowel movements! It's too superficial ...through skin and subcutaneous fat ONLY....and there is a bulky muscle layers and other fatty layer underneath it...he can never reach the intestine !! I guess what you are having is some sort of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)...which is a group of abdominal symptoms for which no organic cause can be found. Causes include stress,depression or anxiety.

It can manisfest in the form of:-
1-diarrhoea or constipation or both.
2-Pain in any part of the colon following meals or stress that is decreased by passing flatus or stools.
3-Tenderness over the colon as well.
4-It can make you feel irritable yourself!!

I advice you to do a stool analysis and culture. Relax, do some excercises and continue your high fibre diet and drink plenty of water.I f you can check serum Urea,Creatinine,Sodium and Potassium in your blood ,that would be great. about feeling that your bowels are paralized,did your doctor say he couldn't hear any bowel movements?! because that is strange!! :shock:

I would have asked you to do a sigmiodoscopy (lower Gi Endoscopy) but you already had one done....u don't have bleeding per rectum,anaemia and you don't complain of fever or any other thing? are you taking any other medicines?!

It's probably a psychological status...it happens to all of us when we're stressed out..like having an exam,preparing for an interview,weddings,ect :wink: .

Don't worry,everything's gonna be allright.

Best Regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here