Question: Is this IBS or something else Please help

sweet694 - Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:54 am

Hi ! I have had IBS since I was 16 and now I am 36. I was miss diagnosed for so long that the constipation that I had caused my bowel to stretch. I have an extra loop in my large intestine. I have tried most of the remedies over the years but found they only work for so long than quit. The specialist said that there was an area in my bowel where the nerves quit firing and this is what caused my problem. He also told me that eventually they would have to remove my large intestine and put a bag on. He said that I was to young right now to do it. The pains get so bad that they put me in the hospital for a week. They tried to get me to go to the bathroom with enima after enima to no avail. They finally gave me oral fleet, they did this twice. I go for a month before having a bowel movement and blowup like Im 6 months pregnant. My question is does this sound like IBS? I need to know for sure because I think it may not be.Can I force them to do the operation so I can get back to living a normal life? I have had it with feeling this way and need help. I have also losed a few jobs due to the fact that I have been sick.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:28 pm

User avatar Symptoms of Irritable bowel syndrome include, abdominal and changes in bowel habits like bloating, gas, alternating diarrhea and constipation
The disease is not due to inflammation in the wall of the GI and is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance, that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.
Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are caused by inflammation of the wall of the GI tract. They are very similar in the pathogenesis hence, in the presenting symptoms, as they both lead to bouts of watery or bloody diarrhea and abdominal pain.the diagnosis of these conditions that have similar presentation can be confirmed by colonoscopy and biopsy. in IBS no abnormalities are seen and no pathological changes in the wall of the gut can be found. hence the information you have given is little pit strange to me. keep in mind also, that there are other GI diseases that give same picture and naturally investigations including colonoscopy, biopsy and CT Scans will differentiate between these conditions.
If you consultant advised you to go for surgery, I assume he has strong reasons for that, and it is also your right to know and understand the results of your investigations including the pathological results (if biopsy has been done)

|