News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: IBS, air, pains

enaid7649 - Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:15 am

I have IBS, have had over a year. Mostly IBS-D except when diet and medicine changes might cause me to have Constipation.

Sometimes it's as if things are trapped. In the upper left I get what my dr. calls "trapped air". I can take a deep breath and hear what sounds like a frog. ;) He says this is trapped in the bend of my colon. Possible?

Is it possible to have chest pains related to IBS? These last couple weeks I have had my regular symptoms of IBS but have had chest pain as well. It is in the middle and in my upper back in the middle as well. Also upper abdominal pains, as well as my other usual pains. Right now it's tender with the constipation, but am not normally this way so don't know if the chest pains are normal for this.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:01 pm

User avatar Dear enaid7649,
Sometimes chest pain is not originating from the chest itself, instead it is due to problems in the digestive tract. These problems include gastritis and gastric ulcer, gall bladder disease, GER. When you have pain in your abdomen, this pain can radiate into the chest, and become confusing with a primary chest pain. In that case careful history and examination will help define the diagnosis. For example, Pain due to gastritis increase either after fasting or after meals, while pain due to gall bladder disorder is associated with fatty meals.
Since the pain you have is related to your GI condition (abdominal pain etc), it is more likely to be of GI origin.
If the chest pain remains after you have your GI problems solved, you better visit your doctor again for further investigations.
Good luck

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here