News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Small lump on anus

TeacupHuman - Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:59 am

Hi!

I'm nearly 18 and I have a small lump on my anus that I first noticed a few years ago, but as it doesn't cause me any pain or discomfort I wasn't concerned. It isn't a different colour from the rest of my skin and as far as I can tell it doesn't fit with any symptoms of piles. I also looked up symptoms for colon cancer (just to check) but have nothing similar to what is described. Although there's no pain I'm slightly worried about what it could be.

I would be grateful for any advice. Thank you.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:03 pm

User avatar Hi,
As you have missed out many details regarding the swelling, i will provide you with some of the possible causes of a swelling in that vicinity.

Some of the possibilities include,

- a perianal hematoma (slightly bluish, located at the anal margin, follows bleeding from tiny perianal veins as a result of sudden increasing of pressures in them by acts such as coughing, straining at stool etc),

- Condyloma acuminatum: caused by the epidermotropic human papillomavirus (HPV). Perhaps, the most common sexually transmitted disease (STD). It is the third most common cutaneous manifestation in HIV-infected patients, detected in >30% of the seropositive cases.They are usually skin-colored,r pink or whitish.
Risk factors: multiple sexual partners, early coital age, Smoking, & oral contraceptives, are risk factors for acquiring condylomata.

It spreads by skin to skin contact and therefore, actual vaginal or anal intercourse is not mandatory for acquiring this infection.

- Other skin lesions which can occur anywhere such as, nevi, cuteneous malignancies(melanomatous & non-melanomatous) also should figure in the differential diagnosis.

You must show it to your family doctor, as diagnosis in these cases depends a lot on the morphology of the lesion (followed by laboratory testing).
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here