Question: Moderate rectal bleeding, nausea and migraine

dolphinaca - Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:18 pm

I woke up this morning with a migraine headache and now noticed a moderate amount of blood in my stool and on the tissue when I go to the bathroom. There is no soreness in that area so it seems to be internal. I've been nauseous all day and am now bloated. I took 1 Vicodin for the migraine and 1 Soma for a back injury (herniated disc in lumbar spine).

Are these symptoms related? What could this be?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:50 am

You have not indicated the duration of neither the migraine nor the herniated discs. Also not indicated is the duration of drug therapy (both carisoprodol and the hydrocodone/paracetamol combination).

Vicodin is a formulation containing hydrocodone and paracetamol. Unusual bleeding is one of the reported side effects of this drug.

Soma (Carisoprodol) is available as 250 mg & 350 mg containing tablets.You have not mentioned the dosage schedule. Head ache and pancytopenia are among the reported side effects.

You seemed to have experienced a rather sudden rectal bleed. There appears to be no history of similar episode in the past. You need to show to your family doctor for an initial assessment to exclude local causes such as hemorrhoids (painless bleeding usually following a bowel movement), acute anal fissures (painful, stool usually streaked with blood), rectal polyps, etc. Basic labs including coagulation profile may be indicated.

If local causes are excluded, the two drugs which you are on (duration unknown) become suspect.

|