News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Pain right side of abdomen - recently had sickness bug

Juniortrekkie - Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:22 am

Hi all,

On Tuesday I woke up at 4a.m with severe *constant* abdominal pains in the centre of my stomach, I tried making myself sick thinking it was a sickness bug, but unfortunately it did not help with the pain. I was unable to pass any excrement and the pain was so severe my dad rushed me into hospital.

Once I got there and was seen by a nurse, I was given some soluble paracetamol since I have trouble swallowing tablets. I started to feel better and the hospital did a blood and urine test. Both came back fine, I was told to go home and rest, eat soup and taking painkillers every 4 hours.

By the next day I felt better, I only had a pain in my stomach when I moved around too much or breathed in deeply. It's now 3 days later and I still have the pain in my stomach. I am starting to feel sick, I can not lie on my front (which is the way I usually lie so I am not sleeping well), and if I breathe in too deeply I get a sharp pain to the right of my abdomen.

Since then, however, I have been having bowel movements. My parents suggested that it was because I had strained my side while being sick, but surely that wouldn't last this long?

Any help is appreciated, I really don't want to go back to hospital unless it's urgent and I am flying away to America in 10 days for a 3 week holiday.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:21 am

User avatar Hi,
Although not too typical, a gall bladder problem seems more likely.
It is possible that your pain was caused by an episode of acute cholecystitis.

Acute cholecystitis (AC) is an acute inflammation of the gallbladder (GB), usually caused by obstruction of the cystic duct by in most cases, a gall stone.

Typically, there is right upper quadrant pain(right subcostal region), and tenderness. At times, pain may begin in the epigastric region or the left upper quadrant and then shift to the right subcostal region. Pain may be referred to the right shoulder or the inter-scapular region.

Palpation of the right subcostal area may show involuntary muscle guarding. During deep inspiration (with the palm of the examiner still in position), the tenderness becomes suddenly worse and the patient suddenly catches his/her breath(the Murphy's sign).

Apart from this possibility, certain other conditions may present similarly, & some of which are,
- an acute appendicitis (high cecum),
- a perforated duodenal ulcer,
- a liver abscess,
- a sub-diaphragmatic abscess,&
- an acute pancreatitis.

In your case, a thorough physical examination and investigations
are needed to arrive at a proper diagnosis. Therefore, you must continue to be followed up by your family doctor till your hospital appointment.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here