News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: No Bowel Movement 10 Days. Please help.

porkroll88 - Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:10 pm

Hello, my current situation is this... I took my final test on june 1st and with a half hour left of the test I had to really go to the bathroom. I finished my test and rushed home in which I took a huge crap. I don't usually go to the bathroom everyday so when they do come out their big, well this time there were three large poo's floating around. Ever since that day I haven't been able to go to the bathroom, which means it's been 10 days. I tried exlax and nothing... suppository and nothing again... Just a few pebble turds here and there and a LOT of farting. I don't feel the need to go to the bathroom but I feel uncomfortable. I hope nothing serious is going on in there.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:04 pm

User avatar Hi,
"If one has to strain unduly during a bowel movement 25% of the time,or if one's stools are very hard more than 25% of the time, and if one has 3 or less bowel movements a week", then constipation is the likely diagnosis.

Apart from organic causes (there are very many), simple events such as not drinking enough water, lack of physical exercise, a sudden change in diet, a change in the environment, stress or consuming an excess of dairy products can cause constipation.

Stress plays a very important role in modifying the defecation reflex.

Low-level stress and anxiety suppress the gastro-colic reflex and thereby reduce the stimulus to initiate bowel action following food intake(some may be conditioned to go to the toilet after for example, after having a cup of coffee).
Individuals finding themselves in moderate-stress situations, (such as exams, lawsuits, work related problems, etc), tend to suppress the urge to defecate.
Truly high-stress situations often cause diarrhea and paradoxically, that disrupts the bowel routine and ends up in constipation.

Thus, it is probable that in your case, a number of factors in tandem (stress, change of dietary habit, change in daily routine and perhaps others) played a role in causing your symptom which is very likely to be temporary. However, have yourself examined by your family doctor to exclude organic causes. If there are none, your doctor is likely to advise you to eat lots of veggies, fiber, drink plenty of water, be physically active & avoid stressful situations. It is very likely that you would recover in a week or two. If in case there is unsatisfactory progress, then consult your doctor again.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here