Question: Constipation when I am not Home

tman0312 - Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:46 pm

Hello I am a 21 year old male and I have an issue with constipation when i leave my house. If i go away for a week on a trip or staying over at my girl friends for a few days i will not have a bowel movement during those days. I wont even feel like i have to go, but i know i should. But when i go home, less than 30 seconds of being home i will have to go.
I am constant when i am home and have frequent bowel movements. But I a planing on moving out of my house at the end of this month and going to the beach for a week with my girl friend and I am afraid that I will start to feel sick after a few days at the beach.
I have not tried much so i am open for suggestions

Thank you

Timmy
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:20 pm

Hello tman0312,

The problem of altered bowel habits when away from home is quite common. Some causes are anxiety, changes in water intake, changes in food, not wanting everyone to know your bowel habits, or simply habit. People with this type of issue can make sure they have adequate water intake and regular exercise. Some people find it helpful to take a mild stool softener, such as senna, which will help stimulate the urge to empty the bowel. Making time to spend some time in the bathroom in a relaxed manner (reading, doing a crossword) can help. The anxiety of fearing you won't be able to have a bowel movement tends to perpetuate the problem, thus the need to take some deliberate actions as described above. I hope this information is helpful to you, and that you enjoy your time at the beach.

|