News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: I can't eat!

maccy941 - Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:19 pm

I was diagnosed with IBS about 5 years ago. I recently visited the doctor and i was told that i have bad blood circulation in my stomach. Everything was going fine until recently, i can't eat anything at all without having horrible pain. Even the littlest things set me off. The doctors think there's something else wrong but i don't have an appointment for another month. Any idea on what this could be?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:30 pm

User avatar Hi,
I would request you to kindly refer to the following link wherein i have discussed a similar problem.
( viewtopic.php?f=58&t=45184 ).

As you are only 14 years old, among the conditions discussed in the aforesaid link, the "median arcuate ligament syndrome" (one of the causes of "abdominal angina") can occur in young individuals. It also causes severe post-prandial abdominal pain(pain following food intake).

The other differential diagnosis one should consider is an intussusception. Nearly 80% of the children who develop this condition are < 2 years old, and it can also occur in older children, teenagers, and adults.

Yet another cause to be considered is peptic ulceration. Primary peptic ulcers are still relatively uncommon in children. But of late, an increasing prevalance of H pylori-negative and NSAID-negative primary peptic ulcers in children seems to show an increasing trend. Unlike duodenal ulcers in the adults, the pain tends to increase or remain static following food intake.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here