News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: raised itchy bump on skin to left of navel - alcohol related

vaquer0 - Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:35 am

I have had a recurring bump on my skin to the upper left of my navel. This only appears after drinking a moderate to heavy amount of alcohol. The bump disappears after a day or so but it is concerning me. The bump is at the moment the size of a spot but usually is the size of a small coin.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:40 pm

User avatar Hello,While it is unlikely that alcohol per se has caused this rash it is more likely that some of the additives used in beers or wines could be behind this.
Grains in the beer and sulphites in wine are known to induce reactions.Rosacea is one condition in which alcohol has a direct role.And then those ethnic groups which break down alcohol to acetaldehyde in excess as in some asian descents as a genetic problem could develop flushing.You have not mentioned whether you itch or not.This is unlikely to be a severe one and may be you can see whether certain types or all alcoholic drinks bring forth the rash.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here