Question: Phases of weight and appetite loss, along with severe nausea

BlueRaven - Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:14 pm

its abit of a long explanation so I'll try to keep it short.
When I was fifteen was the first time it happened. Everytime I would eat I would become really nauseas, sometimes to the point where i was sure i was going to get sick. It seemed to be worse with my first meal of the day. I lost about ten-fifteen pounds in just two weeks. I came out of it and it happened again when I was seventeen, just the end of last year. It was worse this time and lasted longer. It caused me alot of stress and anxiety (which I already have anyway) And i basically stopped eating for nearly a month. I developed an infection in my colon and bowels from it along with diarreah. I went to the doctor for it that time and she said nothing was wrong with me. She took a stool sample to check the ifection and it came out as nothing, no parasites, no diseases. She said it could be IBS so for the past three years Ive been thinking I have IBS but ive tried medications for it and nothing helps. I don't have serious problems with diarreah and constipation either so I don't think its IBS. My mother and sister has IBS and I really don't feel the same way they do when it comes to there bowel movements, just the nausea, bloating and such.

Well I came out of that as well (I noticed i got alot better after I took a colon cleanse to clean out all the infection that was in me. After my colon was cleaned out I got my appetite back and did fine for a few months)

Now for the third time its happened again. I lost more wieght. Im 5'7 and last time ig ot down to 114 and now im down to 110. Im starting to come out of it but I want to know what it is so I can prevent it from happening again.
I know I have alot of indegestion alot. Sometimes everytime I eat. I havent noticed any certain foods set it off, some foods make it worse, but any food will make me nauseas when Im going through those stages, even light toast and crackers.

I don't know why I should go to a doctor again for it. Ive been twice and they havent told me its anything serious. When i was late sixteen I had blood tests done and I came out fine, no defenciencys, no problems.

Could it be stress and anxiety? ive had depression and severe anxiety since I was thirteen. So could this mess with my digestive system if bad enough? Also I have to admit I really don't get enough water.
When i use the bathroom currently its hard to go (when i go through the phases i notice when i try to go to the bathroom i get severely nauseas and faint)
now its just hard to go an dcomes out in balls. Sometimes it has bright red blood on it but not much at all (i have hemmroids) and sometimes it looks kind of fatty but I heard thats normal with constipation.

I don't get very much exercise, the phases and wiehgt loss keep me pretty weak. SO could the problem just be depression/anxiety and bad water/exercise habits?
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:10 pm

Hello, BlueRaven,

Having a family history of IBS would make your problems the first point of ruling out what is happening with you. Anyone who does not feel a diagnosis is accurate or that something else is also going on should definitely discuss it with their doctor. Your point about making sure you have adequate fluid intake and at least a mild exercise program is a very good one, and you are correct. With any condition that does not have a well defined cause or consistent symptoms, it's a good thing to keep a record of the symptoms. It should include what the symptom is, how long it lasted (or how much weight was lost each day), what helped or made it worse, what happened just before the symptom started, and any other data that seems significant to you. Always take your record with you to doctor appointments. You also might benefit from keeping a food diary, to identify and track any patterns or problem foods that make your symptoms increase. Since depression and anxiety are common with such long-term problems, it is a good idea to have a psychological evaluation and any follow-up treatment that might be recommended. Your doctor can refer you for therapy, or you can make an appointment with your local public mental health agency. Such agencies generally base their charges on your ability to pay. I hope this information is helpful to you, and I wish you the best.

|