News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Nausea & Numbness in Right side of Tongue (Help please!)

snookie - Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:58 pm

Hi, during the past week I've had nausea and numbness most prevalent in the right side of my tongue. Sometimes It's seem slightly more difficult to speak. I don't know what it is but I was hoping there may be someone out there that my give me some tips.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:08 pm

User avatar Hi,
Spontaneous appearance of loss of sensation confined to the right side of your tongue in the absence of any other symptoms (except nausea) is extremely unusual.

The "oral' tongue(mobile tongue): taste sensation is served by the chorda tympani nerve,(a branch of the facial nerve, CN7).General sensation is supplied by the Lingual nerve which is a branch of Trigeminal nerve (CN 5).

The oro-pharyngeal tongue: Both taste & general sensation is supplied by the Glossopharyngeal nerve (CN 9).

You have not indicated whether the loss of sensation in your case is
- only for general sensations (such as touch, pain etc), or
- is it for the taste sensation, or perhaps,
- for both.

There are a number of conditions that can cause the aforesaid scenarios.Some of the most important ones include
- malignant tumors of oral cavity, oropharynx and middle ear,
- surgical trauma (procedures) involving these areas, &
- other types of trauma.

Another set of curious symptoms which i will mention just for the sake of completion are known as "taste phantoms" or "phantom taste sensations". Certain nerve injuries(involving sensory nerves) appear to produce loss of taste for one particular taste sensation or appearance of an abnormal taste sensation (ex; metallic taste, bitter or salty tastes). These are mostly localized to the side of nerve damage. These phantoms generally can't be rinsed away with water.

Some medications have been noted to have taste phenomena. These appear to have a genetic basis. A person who is genetically more sensitive to a particular taste sensation may experience that sensation while on a medication.

Diseases that may be associated with alterations in taste include
- renal disease (bitter and metallic taste phantoms),
- diabetes mellitus(general taste neuropathy), &
- Psychiatric illness(depression).

As for the cause of your symptoms, I can't hazard a guess.If your problem persists, you should consult a neurologist/ ENT surgeon.
Best wishes!
 snookie - Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:22 pm

Thank you soooo much. I don't know what it was but it seemed to just go away on it's own a couple of weeks ago which is a blessing because I don't have insurance. I really appreciate you talking the time to reply to my post. Peace and blessings!

-snookie
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:51 am

User avatar Hi,
Thank you for your update. Hope your symptom will regress soon, Good day!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here