News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: pain in the lower left abdomen

bbqporkbun - Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:40 am

Hello, thanks in advance for your help.

I have pain in the lower left abdomen, right by the last rib. if i don't move i don't feel much but the pain comes when i shock the body (jump for example), press in that area, or take a deep breath. its been 2 days now.

I am in the middle of a vacation and am wondering what that may be.

Thanks.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:22 pm

User avatar Hi,
I understand that you are on a vacation. Have you been involved in any sort of unaccustomed physical activity (trekking, surfing, rowing and the like)? Did you feel feverish? Any throat pain or cough?

The probable cause could be:
Costochondritis (Tietze's Syndrome) involving the last costal cartilage (although the 12th ribs have no costal cartilages): due to inflammation of the costal cartilage & costo-chondral junction. The cause is unclear but, repetitive microtrauma as a result of activities that cause repeated micro-damage to the cartilage which then leads to inflammation.

This commonly occurs in children, adolescents & young adults. Has also been reported as an overuse injury in athletes. In particular, this condition has been observed in competitive rowers. can also occur following overt trauma (seat belt injuries in motor vehicle collisions).

Symptoms: pain that is usually worsened by activity or exercise. Very often, the pain is worsens during a deep breath. Pain may radiate to the arms or shoulder.

Signs: local tenderness over the costo-chondral junction and absence of respiratory signs.

Management: consists of rest, local heat (hot packs) and NSAIDs.

Differential diagnosis: pleurisy should be considered in any chest pain wherein the pain is aggravated by deep breathing, coughing or sneezing. Generally accompanied by fever, cough or other respiratory signs and symptoms. The other condition to exclude is a muscle strain, which could have occurred due to especially, a twisting force.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here