News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Parasitic infection Giardiasis suspected.

raul4 - Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:16 am

Hi. I have been suffering from weight loss and excessive fatigue for the past 5 days. There seems to be some sort of yellow colored seeds, corn-kernel like objects in my stool and I have not been taking any medication at all neither have I ate any corn or seeds. I also had diarrhea when these objects appeared in my stool. I also have mild headaches occasionally. About a month ago I had the same symptoms and after consulting my doctor I had taken Mebendazole for 6 days after which my stool became normal and the symptoms were gone. I felt healthy and energetic after taking the medication. However about 2 weeks later I had the same symptoms again and took a dose of levamisole which helped and the symptoms were gone and I felt normal again. Unfortunately about 10 days later the same symptoms are recurring again and it has become really frustrating. I have done some research online and suspect giardiasis, although I have not yet had any tests done. I am wondering whether I should start taking Metroindazole 250mg three times a day. I have not yet consulted my doctor about this and have not had done any tests. Are the tests necessary and should I consult my doctor again or can I just take the medication without consulting the doctor and getting tests done.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:36 pm

User avatar Hi,
Regarding the "corn kernel-like" objects in your stool,i request you to refer to the following link where i have addressed a similar situation.
(viewtopic.php?f=58&t=46060&p=95846#p95846).

In patients presenting with diarrhea, it is always prudent to perform basic tests such as stool analysis.

Results of stool analysis depend upon factors such as
- how quickly the sample reaches the laboratory,
- how early it is analyzed following receipt in the laboratory and so on.

Generally, freshly passed stool specimen, if analyzed immediately, would be expected to yield more accurate results. Sometimes, up to 3 specimens (collected on 3 different occasions may be more informative).

You should not resort to taking medications on your own, without medical advice.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here