News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: yellow stringy mucus in stool and around anus??

nikkilynn3 - Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:03 pm

I was changing my sons diaper earlier (3 yrs old). he had yellow stringy mucus all in his poop as well as all around his anus. Later on when I went to the restroom i noticed that i have it as well.... Any clue what it could be? I am freaking out
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:46 pm

Hello nikkilynn3,

I apologize that this response is not more timely. Yellow, stringy mucous with stool is not uncommon, and can be a normal byproduct of some foods and digestive byproducts. It can also appear after an episode of diarrhea or after laxative use. Less common would be such mucous with an infectious process. As with any symptom, if it persists, the best action is to have it evaluated by your doctor, who may suggest stool culture or other tests. Good luck to you and to your son.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:00 pm

User avatar Hi,
Ms Faye Lang, RN, MSW has already given you an outline of major possible causes.
I propose to only add some detail.

As both yourself as well as your child seem to have similar symptoms, an enteric, transmissible infection seems to be most likely. Obviously the risk is much higher if one's baby in diapers has the infection (or perhaps the other way around!).

Campylobacter infection (or campylobacteriosis), is one such.Transmitted from person to person occurs by fecal-oral route. Household pets can carry and transmit these bacteria to their owners. Exposure to a pet dog with diarrhea is said to triple a person’s risk for contracting a campylobacter infection(Campylobacter jejuni or Campylobacter coli). Apart from pets, the infection may be transmitted via meat (especially chicken), contaminated food, contaminated water, and unpasteurized milk. Infection from pets is responsible for only about 5-6% of cases.This usually causes a bloody diarrhea with discharge of mucus. Fever occurs in some cases.

Apart from Campylobacter infections, other bacterial infections (E.coli, salmonella), enteric protozoan parasitic infections (giardiasis or amebiasis), and helminthic infestations also merit consideration.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here