Question: Please help! Horrible ongoing stomach problems...

luigi - Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:45 pm

I am desperate for help, if anyone has any ideas!
I have a horrible stomach problem that includes significant stomach pain (sometimes severe cramping pain in the lower stomach, other times strong burning in the upper stomach region below sternum ) that wakes me at night (never happens during the day), excessive burping day and night (sometimes unsuccessfully and/or brings up food), constant, excessive gas and flatulence... This follows what seems to have been a case of stomach flu about 2 weeks ago (they did a stool test which came out normal), when I had excessive mucus in my stool and high fever, which was cured with antibiotics. Before this, I have been generally fine for about 2 months. PREVIOUSLY, I have suffered terribly over the past 2 years with a very painful and horrible stomach condition that ranged again from upper (mostly) and lower (infrequently) stomach pain, excessive belching and flatulence, nausea, vomiting, stomach churning, and so on, that seems to have been made better (I can't say "cured") by two treatments of antibiotics etc. against H. Pylori (an endoscopy after the first round of treatment showed that the H. Pylori had not been eradicated). Despite the similarities to GERD, this does not seem to be the problem, as none of those medications have helped, and the main problem is not in the throat, but in the stomach pain and the gas. (I believe my mother had gallbladder problems in the past).

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated... THANK YOU in advance for your time and your help.

Luigi
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:04 am

User avatar Dear luigi,,
You have explained your medical condition over the past 2 years which included many complaints that might and might not be related, so I will try to explain them separately at same time the possible connection between them.When you had abdominal pains, loose stool, fever that have been improved with antibiotics, this is more likely to be an attack of gastroenteritis.
The burning pain that wake you up in the night is probably due to gastric irritation and hyperacidity. Eradication of H.pylori infection is very important in this case.
The symptoms that are persistent although (like gas, burp, abdominal pains) are going with Irritable bowel syndrome. IBS is one of the most common disorders that is seen in the clinic. Symptoms of Irritable bowel syndrome include, abdominal pain and changes in bowel habits like bloating, gas, alternating diarrhea and constipation and Mucus containing stool
Super added infectious attack of the GI like gastroenteritis will worsen also the symptoms.
Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might cause constipation or diarrhea
Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.

The symptoms and signs of IBS are very non specific and shared by many other conditions affecting the GI tract. The diagnosis although made by exclusion of other causes, however abdominal pain, diarrhea or constipation, gas or bloating lasting at least 12 weeks is the main criteria for the diagnosis of IBS. Although the diagnosis of IBIS is primarily made on complete history and physical examination, some tests may be recommended by some doctors to confirm the diagnosis.
These tests include Colonoscopy and Flexible sigmoidoscopy can be requested for visualization of the entire large intestine (colon) or the lower part of it (sigmoid colon) respectively.
Computerized tomography (CT) scan of the abdomen help to rule out other causes.
The disease can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet and avoiding stress.
Keep your doctor updated with your symptoms. Physical examination and investigations he would recommend accordingly would help to reach the diagnosis and the proper treatment.

|