News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Recovery From Thrombosed Hermoid clot removal.

JackoIsSore - Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:10 am

On sunday afternoon I developed a thrombosed external heroid which grew quite large. At 11am monday I went to the GP in agony and he suggested he inject,slice and squeeze and being in severe pain, I agreed. It was quite a large clot (as he showed me), but the horrible swollen pain was gone apart from some discomfort after due to the surgery.

The wound is open (looks like 2cm long cut)and I place gauze\pads between my buttocks to soak blood up. Im not using pain relief as it really only hurts when I move too much (BM don't hurt) and Im bathing twice a day in warm water with an anti-septic wash.

One thing I never asked was - how long would this take to heal ? Im supposed to be back playing soccer on Sunday (5 days time) but am uneasy with running around with a small gash.
 JackoIsSore - Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:01 pm

Don't worry about this thread as it has healed since the first post 8 days ago.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:25 am

User avatar Hi,
Perianl hematomas arise as a result of sudden increase in intra-abdominal pressures (coughing, straining at stool etc). They represent rupture of tiny venules located in the peri-anal region (at or close to the anal orifice).
They may be
- lax (generally painless or minimally so) or
- tense (exquisitely painful-as in your instance).

Tense peri-anal hematomas need urgent evacuation.

Peri-anal wounds, even if they are large, surprisingly, contract rapidly and heal very quickly. Wound infections are also surprisingly rare despite presence of a host of micro-organisms in that area (commensals).

Also, wounds in that area tend to appear larger (esp; if examined in the squatting position as their edges are pulled apart (stretching).

Therefore, you can expect a fairly rapid healing but, it may not be possible for one to hazard a guess as to exactly how many days it may take to heal fully. Avoid activities that may tend to stretch the wound. Your doctor no doubt, must have instructed regarding 'sitz' baths and dressings (as needed).
Best wishes!
 JackoIsSore - Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:00 pm

Thank You for the reply.

It was surprising how painfull the lump was due to the pressure involved.

Yes, after the incision it was sore for a few days but I was vigilant and kept it clean and I rested well. About 5 days after the proceedure I could no longer feel the wound in my normal day to day movement and I was suprised how quickly it did heal.

My doctor did'nt give me much information but I simply looked at the internet and read other peoples accounts (There is even a video of the procedure on some website - Yikes !) and since then I have been fine. I have taken steps to increase fibre intake and avoid constipation and I have never felt better.

Thank You again.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:24 am

User avatar Hi JackoIsSore,
Thank you for your update.I am glad you are recovering well. Good luck and good day!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here