News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: IBS-C, Colon pushing on Vaginal Area

mayers05 - Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:29 am

Hello. I have Ankylosing Spondylitis and some unfortunate sub-issues, including a working diagnosis of IBS last Fall. For the last month or so, it seems that the flip-flop between diar. and constipation is now const. dominate. The bowel mvmts are now like a bunch of balls, sometimes separate and other times smashed together in one shape (sorry for the grossness). Anyway, sometimes these balls seem to get stuck and while just at the point of exiting, they start to push into the vaginal area. They can be felt from within the vaginal area and gently pushed back to where I think they should be....no puncture through the colon into the vagina that I know of. The process is quite painful and I watch what I eat to include enough fiber and liquid, no metamucil as it seems to make things more unpleasant without any sort of ending benefit. Is this normal with age or if not is it anything that needs to be checked out? Thank you. Michelle
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:34 pm

User avatar Diarrhea or constipation or an alternating between both of them is a common symptom of IBS
Having Ankylosing Spondylitis may indirectly aggravate the condition, if you frequently receive analgesics or your life style is towards the sedentary type because of the pain you experience. Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might cause constipation or diarrhea in people with IBS, so you need to observe carefully what your eating.
Stress also increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.
Super added infectious GI attack will worsen also the symptoms. You mentioned that,feel the stools inside through the vagina, Doyou need to push with your finger the wall of the rectum to help your self starting defecation? If the answer is yes, then the condition needs to be assessed probably to check for any anatomical problems. Having your problems persistent for a month now means also that you need to be checked up by your doctor, only with complete history and physical examination he can provide you the proper medical care.
Best wishes,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here