News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Burps so loud u wouldn't believe & 1 uncomfortable stomach

l2553153 - Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:41 pm

This all started sat 6/19 after Saturday night Subway dinner!! Bad sour stomach burping and tasting every meal since then, nauseous and stool is different . Its now 6/23! still going on but now worse. Dr. sent me for an upper GI with the drink to go with it, yesterday. Was on the toilet last night and vomiting all at the same time... maybe because of that cocktail prior to the test? Currently all stopped up. Test came back normal. Saw pcp advised to take 1/2 bottle of magnesiun citrate to clean out the system thinks i have food poisoning and the toxins are still in me. I have had food poisoning, unless with different severities of it have different symtoms... i called poison control to see if there was a point in eating before or after taking this because i have only had an apple to eat today , he says it is possible with out a certain diagnosis this laxitave could complicate my possible problems. said if i had a bowel ubstuction its like throwing gas on a fire!!!! i do not have health insurance, so the er would cost a lot, i am tired of feeling like this, but i do not want to make it worse!
I can keep food down but only eating a little bit because i am uncomfortable and feel sick to my stomach and have been getting a lot of rest since this started. Please some advise
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:55 pm

User avatar Hi,
Firstly let me try to explain about the act of burping (belching).

There are essentially two types(pardon me, it is my own classification!)...
- normal belching (comes suddenly, involuntarily)
- abnormal belching (here, a person belches, believing that there is a lot of gas in the stomach and voluntarily tries to belch it out).
When we eat, we swallow food, but swallow some air as well.How much air one swallows depends on many factors such as hurried eating without chewing the food properly (gulping the food!), talking a lot during meals etc.

Normally the upper esophageal sphincter is in closed mode to prevent atmospheric air entering the esophagus.It opens only while swallowing.

Compare this to what happens during abnormal belching...
the sphincter opens, there is no air in the stomach at high pressure to escape out,...so, the outside air enters the esophagus and goes into the stomach!This air may be belched out 'normally'. Then the vicious cycle starts all over again!

It is indeed unfortunate that you have experienced 5 different episodes of food poising over the past 7 years. I certainly empathize with you & understand how anxious you must be feeling.

I suggest that the best you can do under these circumstances is to consult an endocrinologist. An upper GI endoscopy (OGD) is certainly indicated and this step will ensure a rapid diagnosis of your problem (organic or functional) and in the final analysis may in fact be less expensive.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here