Question: severe acid reflux for 7 yrs

tankgllrr74 - Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:12 pm

I had severe acid reflux for 7 yrs with no relief no matter what i took, prescription, otc ..nothing! i ate bland foods no alcohol drinking ever i do not smoke. i recently broke my foot and while i was in the hospital i had the reflux so bad i couldnt eat. they did an endoscopic surgery and found lumps (i was in a german hospital translation was not clear) in my esphogus and stomach. they were removed but i was told i had a bacterial infect from the lumps very bad. and some of these lumps were cancerous. well i still get the reflux to the point i cant sleep, should i be concerned something is still wrong in my stomach?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:19 am

There are certain important details which seem to be missing in the history provided.

You indicate that you have been suffering from acid reflux for the past 7 years without any benefit from drugs(? PPIs). This indicates that you probably have a Gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD).

You also seem to be saying that 'growths' in your esophagus and stomach ( perhaps you mean cardio-esophageal junction? ) were biopsied and you were given to understand that one of the 'growths' was perhaps malignant. You have not indicated as to the advice given to you following the biopsy report.

There are a number of possibilities here, which include,
- polyps in your stomach were snared (polyps > 2cms have higher intrinsic risk of malignancy).
- there was a malignant growth at the cardia (gastro-esophgeal junction) - [of late, these proximal tumors of the stomach have shown an increased incidence]
- there was evidence of Barrett's epithelium and biopsy showed severe metaplasia or in-situ cancer etc.

Rather than to speculate like this, you have the following options:
- if you have the discharge summary from the German hospital, you may try to get it transalated or
- if that is not feasible, then, to consult a gastroenterologist and undergo an endoscopy yet again.

I urge you to act swiftly in this direction in order to avoid repenting in the future.
 tankgllrr74 - Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:38 pm

thank you very much this is most helpful advice. i will follow through and let you know the ending results
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:57 am

User avatar Hi tankgllrr74,
Thank you for keeping in touch. Hope your condition will be diagnosed finally soon and that you will get the right management advice. Good luck!

|