Question: Stool all mucus

crystaljh - Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:11 am

This morning I thought I had to pass gas. However when I did I realized I didn't just have to pass gas. When I got to the bathroom I was expecting to find a small amount of runny stool but what I had let pass was pure mucus with no brown tinge what so ever. Yesterday I went to the bathroom many times with diarrhea. I did see mucus in the toilet but I assumed that I was having an abnormal amount of vaginal discharge. I know this morning without a doubt that it was not vaginal discharge, that the mucus discharge most definitely came from my rectum. I was Dx with IBS nine years ago. Up until the last year I have not been having any problems with with my bowels though. At the time I went through the colonoscopy and barium enema with no significant findings. Crohns and UC do run in my family. The last year things have changed again. Most times when I eat (this can be from a normal meal to a banana) I get extreme cramping and a sudden urge that I have to get to the bathroom now. But when I get there nothing, then about 20 minutes later same very painful cramping and urge and I literally feel like I'm exploding as I go. I have been very tired lately and I have noticed that I'm bruising easily. It seems that my legs especially are covered in bruises but I can't don't remember hitting or bumping into anything. This is not normal for me (and I'm not doing any new activities that would cause me to bump into things more).

When I mentioned to the doctor last month that my bowel patterns have changed and how hard it is for me sometimes (if I go out to eat I have to make sure I immediately go home) that it's interferring with my ADL he told me it was probably just IBS and to watch what I eat. I've also lost 18lbs in last two months (and I'm not trying to or dieting). Should I be concerned about the bruising? Could this be anemia (which I have never been Dx with before)? Is a purely mucus stool something to be concerned about? Or could this be some sort of stomach virus? Should I be making a Dr's appointment today?

TIA for any advice.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:19 pm

User avatar Hello crystaljh,
The symptoms and signs of IBS are very non specific and shared by many other conditions affecting the GI tract especially, Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are caused by inflammation of the wall of the GI tract. Complete history and physical examination, some tests may be recommended by some doctors to confirm the diagnosis. In your case, I would recommend, Colonoscopy or Flexible sigmoidoscopy for visualization of the entire large intestine (colon) or the lower part of it (sigmoid colon) respectively. If any lesion is suspicious a biopsy should be taken to rule our Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Free colonscopic examination dose not mean negative Crohn's disease since the disease affects primarily the entire GI tract and usually starts in the small intestine, so a Barium follow through can help investigate the small intestine with a Small bowel X-ray..
Arrange to visit your doctor and explain to your condition in the last year clearly.
Good luck,

|