Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Liver Disease & diabetes 1

mmmcookies - Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:38 pm

What are some ways to gain some weight?
At home tips.

My mother has liver disease for a while now
and recently found out she has diabetes 1 on top of it.
I went up north to visit her. And she has lost about 20 pounds.

Im very concern and I don't know much about diabetes and the liver disease.
she doesn't have insurance to cover her treatment.

so im asking what are some ways to keep her health up to date
making sure she's getting her nutrition! what makes her tired?
and what are some other ways to get some type of help?
that doesn't cost alot of money.

please help me out! <3 thank you!
 Rivka Freeman RPh - Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:49 pm

Dear mmmcookies:

To gain weight in liver disease I recommend a product called Immunocal.
This product is made from the protein portion of milk. The amino acids in the product, when ingested, produce glutathione. Taking glutathione directly into the GI system is not well absorbed but this product Immunocal enables successful production of glutathione particularly in the liver. Immunocal is indicated for cachexia, muscle and weight loss in cancer patients and AIDS patients. It is a beneficial antioxidant and is utilized well in the liver.

Because Immunocal is solely the protein portion of milk (the lactose sugar is separated out in a patented process) Immunocal can be consumed as a way to balance carbohydrate foods in order to maintain stable blood sugar levels.
Please see www.balancedmeals.org for a complete description of balanced meals to manage blood sugar.

Rivka Freeman
Registered Pharmacist
Clinical Nutritionist
 lianamartinez - Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:35 pm

User avatar Hi
Can I ask a little bit more about your mom's liver disease? How long has she had it and do you know what caused it?

Liana Martinez, ACNP
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:58 am

I agree with Liana. Your question is a valid one but you'll never be able to get an answer without a proper assessment and unfortunately not through the internet. First, we need to know which liver disease she was diagnosed with. Next your doctor needs to accurately assess the stage of liver deterioration. How severe is it?

Uncontrolled diabetes can lead to liver impairment making the situation worse.

Unfortunately, this is a complex nutritional issue. Any doctor would probably need to refer this issue to a nutritionist. There are special diets for diabetic patients and there are special diets for liver disease patients. The combination would mean you need a more customized solution.

In addition to the patient's diabetic and liver assessment she will also need a nutritional assessment. This means proper calculation of BMI, caloric requirements, hydration status and electrolytes. This condition will probably need to be treated in stages and closely monitored during the initial stages before being put on a maintenance diet.

I am sorry if I have made things seem a little too complicated. I have no way of knowing how severe the condition is but this could potentially become a dangerous situation.

Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:43 am

User avatar Hello,Dr.Fouad has rightly pointed out the need for proper diagnosis here.One condition that would need to be looked in would be Bronze diabetes.This condition is missed often when connecting liver disease to diabetes.
It would be ideal to get your mother tested for serum ferritin levels.Treatment if so, would be phlebotomy ie blood letting.This would prevent organ damage if the excess iron deposit is causing both liver disease and diabetes due to pancreatic involvement.These are but random thoughts but indeed your mother needs active investigations to rule out other causes of weight loss.
Hope this information is useful.
My best wishes.
 mmmcookies - Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:14 pm

Uhm.

I believe around 2007-2008?
She told me she got it from sharing food with her co worker.
But im not sure if i believe her OR not. im not close with my mother.

All i know is that from when she's had it till now.
she would get really tired.
Have tummie cramps.
Hands & Feet are cold.
Her abdominal will be swelling.
Loss of appetite

I don't really know much about when she goes to the restroom tho.
Uhm yeah!

about her diabetes 1. she found out like about an yr ago.

she doesn't have insurance so therefor
she can't get treatment. we can't afford it.

BLEH
 mmmcookies - Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:26 pm

the product "Immunocal"
is the site a scam?
why would they sell the product only online and not at drug stores?
are they approved by the FDA?
what are the side effects?

|