Question: Diarrhea, Lack of Pancreatic Lipase?

seaspray7007 - Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi there; my son-in-law has a problem with Diarrhea after eating anything. It does not matter what he eats. He just heads to the bathroom immediately. This has been going on for years. He is so accustomed to eating immodium AD after meals just to appear normal. Do you think he may be lacking Pancreatic Lipase? I read somewhere that there are suppliments for this. He did go to his family Doctor and he said that this was normal. I do not think it is. I mean he runs to the bathroom.
Thank you SOOOOO much
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:31 pm

Intestinal hurry ("hyperkinesis") can be due to several reasons such as,
- lack of dietary fibre,
- a simple exaggeration of the normal gastrocolic reflex(? stress),
- motility disorders(IBS),
- Inflammation of the gut wall(IBD),
- chemical irritation of gut mucosa from products of incomplete digestion or chemicals associated with food (herbicides, pesticides,etc),
- some constituent of the food itself such as, alkaloids,
- toxic breakdown products of fish or meat,
- diabetic autonomic neuropathy,
- neuroendocrine tumors etc.

Steatorrhea is the presence of excessive fat in feces. Stools are especially foul smelling, oily, and may also float.This should not be confused with intestinal hurry. Patients with steatorrhea may have anal leakage(soiling) and some degree of incontinence but, intestinal hurry is not a usual feature.

Pancreatic lipase is absent at birth, and is developmentally regulated. Cases of isolated human pancreatic lipase (HPL) deficiency have been reported.Many of them have a genetic basis.They cause steatorrhea.

As your son-in-law has very typical features of severe intestinal hurry and hardly any feature of steatorrhea(from your description), i feel that you/he should discuss with his family physician the option of referral to a gastroenterologist to have his complaints fully investigated.
 seaspray7007 - Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:19 pm

I cannot thank you enough for your expertise!! What you explained makes so much sense to me. My son in law is very shy and an introvert, and in addition he is always stressed out!! so what you said is right on target. Thanks again and God Bless you!!

Cathleen Robert-Rice
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:05 am

User avatar Hi seaspray7007,

Thank you so much. It was my pleasure! good day!

|