Question: Left stomach, Flank, middle left back-shoulder + spine Pain

Badace - Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:48 pm

I am a 33yo male 200lbs 5'10" . My Mom died when she was 34 of Leukemia.

I have had upper thoracic spinal colum pain for a year. It is a burning pain. When it iis or is not present my left shoulder area has bad nots that burn and hurt with movement. It seems to radiate around my rib to my sternum and it comes and goes. My stomach hurts (burns) and the pain moves around my stomach to my heart area. My muscles (random and any muscle would twitch kind of a slow twitch. It comes and goes. Sometimes my forearm then my calf then my butt, then my thumb etc. No Rhyme or reason to it. I will have bone pain. Maybe a fore arm or tibia, or humerus, etc. My palms may burn or the back of my hands. My feet sometimes feel likt the muscles are tearing or it burns. All of these symptoms still come and go. Now my back hurts (on top of these other symptoms) in the middle to low left quadrant that moves to my left flank.. (Spleen?) I have had upper endiscopy, colonoscopy, stomach ct, brain ct, head MRI, Upper SC MRI, Running Stress test, upper gi, chest xray over the past year and a half. The Reumatologist did a complet osteo and Rheumatoid work up two years ago. All test have been clear to the point one doctor told me It was in my head and perscribed me Celexa. (I did not take it because I am not depressed) I went to a new doc, he did his tests and told me he thinks I am sensitive to pain and need to live with it. I saw a Gastro and he did his work up and nada, Neuro did not finish his complete work up because since my doctor said what he said I just gave up and have not been back to see anybody in 8 months. I have just been suffering. I do not know why they would think I would pay $5000 in deductibles if it did not hurt so much. I am suffering. Any Ideas? Leukemia, Liver, Spleen, Lymphoma, connectivity disease, MS? No fatigue (that I notice) fever, weight loss or nausea. No night sweats or anything like that. I can not sleep because of the pain but I have good energy.

A year before I would have bad sterum pain and it was H-Pylori and prev pack seemed to help. Now very little if any sternum pain. :D BR Horton
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:17 am

User avatar Dear Badace,

Fibromyalgia Syndrome’ (FMS) is to be considered in your condition. It affects many people and results in generalized muscular pain. The pain affects also the spine area or the neck or front of the chest, or middle or low back.

There are other associated chronic symptoms which include, mood disturbances, fatigue and sleep disturbances.

The underlying cause is not known, however many other conditions can trigger the pain like stress, liver problems, thyroid problems, bowel dysfunction and allergy. Other diseases like Rheumatoid Arthritis should be excluded since they are associated with similarly symptoms to FMS.

There are no specific treatments however, general recommendations can help alleviate the pain, these include:

Suitable nutritional advice as well as supplements like potassium and other minerals are very important.
Avoid the triggering causes and treat them like: allergy and GI problems.
Regular exercises programs like yoga.
Some herbal preparations can help improve the liver functions and the blood circulation.
Other medications under the supervision of your doctor can help to improve sleeping problems and anxiety.

It might take three month to see the improvement in these symptoms after following the proper medical care.
To have more information about FMS you can visit our web site on:
http://www.doctorslounge.com/rheumatolo ... yalgia.htm

I advise you to be on follow up with your doctor. You have to inform him with any new symptoms. Some specific causes may be preceded by non specific symptoms and for a long time.

I hope you find this information useful

|