Question: Can IBS-D cause weight gain?

Laurie Ann - Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:57 pm

I know it sounds silly, most people thik that when you have diarrhea you lose weight. I have been plagued with IBS for several years now and I find that after serious bouts (diarrhea for several days) I actually weigh more and am very bloated. I am not currently taking meds for IBS..I'm not even sure that it is IBS(diagnosed by my GP and a gastroenterologist) or a food sensitivity...when I went on a diabetic diet for gestational diabetes it stopped, and when I went on Atkins it stopped. I looked into Celiac/gluten intolerence, but I've steadily gained weight not lost. My other concern is that after serious bouts with diarrhea, more and more I'm finding that is is taking me longer and longer to feel better afterwards, i.e like someone stomped all over my intestines for hours after the last bowel movement. Is this actually weakening my intestines?
Please help me!
 Laurie Ann - Sat May 07, 2005 7:31 am

was hoping if I bumped this up I might get a reply......
 julie5914 - Wed May 18, 2005 11:40 am

Laurie, I'm sorry - I'm not a doc, but I wanted to tell you that I have been diagnosed with IBS and have struggled with unexplained weight gain. I participated in a study offered at UNC Chapel Hill that you should look into - you get free tests and even get paid! It ruled out some things I was worried about, but it also showed me that I tested pos. for bacteria in my small intestine, which has been treated now, and I feel much better. Then I got my blood results back and saw that I tested pos. for 3 different celiac tests. Celiacs sometimes gain weight - they can have a variety of symptoms. Now, I am not sure if I am celiac yet, docs like to get an endoscopy to make sure, which I have to wait over a month for, but it is definitely something you can and should look into. Many celiacs are first diagnosed with IBS. Perhaps you can relate to me in this too - I was told a million times to eat more fiber and iron (have also been anemic). I was eating Frosted Mini Wheats every morning for both in addition to other things and was only getting worse. Very well could have been all that wheat!
 Laurie Ann - Wed May 18, 2005 12:31 pm

Julie,
Thank you so much for responding. I have been looking into celiac a lot more lately. I have pretty much concluded that it probably is my probelm. When I mentioned it to my doctor he just said "hmmm" I think that I also have some other food allergies. If I can get my doctor to take me seriously I'll get some further testing. I also had learned that some celiacs gain weight as opposed to others that lose (I couldn't at least get the benefits from it! LOL) I appreciate your time in responding, I will look into if there is a testing facility in my area.
Laurie

|