Question: Constant pain in RUQ no one can figure out - help.

Edward113 - Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:58 am

Doc

Have been having constant RUQ pain for better than a month. Have made multiple visits to both my Primary and GI. Test that have been run by Primary - LFT, CBC and the old finger trick. Test that have been run by GI - Hep Panel abc, ANA, AMA, Ceruloplasmin, Alpha-1, Iron, TIBC, Ferritin, Ultra Sound, Upper and Lower GI and CT scan. All have been normal. GI seems to think IBS and am on 3rd med (Glycopyrrolate). A year ago had my Gall Bladder removed due to 13% usage determined by HIDA w/ CCK.

What else can be looked at? I'm tired of the constant pain.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:25 pm

User avatar Dear Edward113,
Dysfunction of the Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction is one of the considerable causes of abdominal pain in this part of the abdomen following removal of the gall bladde. Some describe this condition as postcholecystectomy syndrome. The sphincter is a one-way valve that allow the passage of the biliary scretions into the Bowel Gut. When it becomes tight, no adequate drainage of the pancreatic and bile ducts occurs. The pressure rises inside the ducts results in pain similar to that of gallstone disease.
Manometric study is done in conjunction with an ERCP to diagnosis this condition. The dysfunction can be corrected by surgerical or endoscopic procedures.
The upper endoscopy would rule out many of the major upper GI diseases

|