News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Recent GI problems/hospitalization...question about symptoms

my3zboys - Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:57 am

I was hospitalized for three days for GI difficulties. I started this past Saturday evening with violent diarrhea, gas, nausea and vomiting, headache, fever, chills, and intense abdominal pain. A ct scan ruled out anatomical issues like appendicitis and diverticulosis. The doctors leaned towards something infectious but stool cultures all came back negative (I know they tested for giardia and c.diff., but not sure what else...standard stuff I'm sure). There was a small amount of blood in my stool as well as mucous. CT scan showed only inflammation and thickening of the colon. The pain was intense, spasmodic and crampy and seemed to follow the path of the large intestine. Fever went as high as 104 and lasted for a full 3 days. While I have been release, I never really got a specific diagnosis and my discomfort and general malaise continue. My abdomen is still VERY sore and very distended. I'm still intermittenly getting headaches and I just feel bad. The diarrhea and vomiting have stopped. I was sent home on Flagyl and Levaquin. I also have noticed that my tongue is strange looking...has a thick yellow coating, more toward the back with a geographic type pattern.

Does anyone have any ideas what all this could be? Does it sound infectious and if so, what? Or does it sound like the beginning of something more chronic, like IBD? And what about the tongue...does that indicate something?

I'm just concerned about feeling so bad still and not really knowing what it was.
 castanza - Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:33 pm

Sorry I don't have any answers but I can offer empathy. I'm going through a similar situation and it amazes me that something can reek such havoc on a person's body, and with all the technology and knowledge we have, still cannot find a diagnosis. It's bad enough to experience unpleasant symptoms. The additional anxiety caused by the mystery certainly doesn't help the situation.

Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here