Question: Recent GI problems/hospitalization...question about symptoms

my3zboys - Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:57 am

I was hospitalized for three days for GI difficulties. I started this past Saturday evening with violent diarrhea, gas, nausea and vomiting, headache, fever, chills, and intense abdominal pain. A ct scan ruled out anatomical issues like appendicitis and diverticulosis. The doctors leaned towards something infectious but stool cultures all came back negative (I know they tested for giardia and c.diff., but not sure what else...standard stuff I'm sure). There was a small amount of blood in my stool as well as mucous. CT scan showed only inflammation and thickening of the colon. The pain was intense, spasmodic and crampy and seemed to follow the path of the large intestine. Fever went as high as 104 and lasted for a full 3 days. While I have been release, I never really got a specific diagnosis and my discomfort and general malaise continue. My abdomen is still VERY sore and very distended. I'm still intermittenly getting headaches and I just feel bad. The diarrhea and vomiting have stopped. I was sent home on Flagyl and Levaquin. I also have noticed that my tongue is strange looking...has a thick yellow coating, more toward the back with a geographic type pattern.

Does anyone have any ideas what all this could be? Does it sound infectious and if so, what? Or does it sound like the beginning of something more chronic, like IBD? And what about the tongue...does that indicate something?

I'm just concerned about feeling so bad still and not really knowing what it was.
 castanza - Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:33 pm

Sorry I don't have any answers but I can offer empathy. I'm going through a similar situation and it amazes me that something can reek such havoc on a person's body, and with all the technology and knowledge we have, still cannot find a diagnosis. It's bad enough to experience unpleasant symptoms. The additional anxiety caused by the mystery certainly doesn't help the situation.

Good luck to you.

|