Question: Pain in my upper Abdomen

cmhall - Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:47 pm

I am a 33 year old male. Over the last 6 -8 months I have been having a reoccuring pain in my upper Abdomen area. The pain has never been severe but often times persistant and is very dull. At times it's almost unnoticable. It is located just to the left of my breatbone and down just a little probably about an inch or two. Often times when the pain occurs I seem to belch alot. It doesn't seem to be affected any more than usual after I eat. This is something that I plan to have checked but was wondering if anyone had any information they could give me.

Chris
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:45 pm

Get your doctor to examine you to decide if the location of pain is an indication for the Helicobacter pylori test. Centrally located upper abdominal pain is usually suggestive of peptic ulcer disease (PUD), gastritis or gallbladder disease. The test mentioned would exclude Helicobacter pylori-associated PUD or gastritis.

A stool analysis, gastroscopy and abdominal ultrasound are other investigations that your doctor may order if the H. pylori test proves inconclusive. Have you not thought of seeing a doctor since the onst of symptoms 6-8 months ago?

Please update us with any results.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 cmhall - Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:54 am

When I first started feeling the pain it would only last for maybe a day or two. Then I wouldn't notice it for maybe a week to a couple weeks. This is the worst it has been in a long time and I now realize this is something that I definately need to get checked. Today the pain is more like a burning preasure. I will go and have this checked. Thanks for your input.

Chris
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:20 pm

Please come back to the message boards with the results of your tests.
We are always interested to know if advice given on this website has helped the patient in any way.

Dr Anthony Solomon

|