Question: Undiagnosible Adbominal pain

castanza - Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:07 pm

Hi there. New at this and want very much to explain this in detail, but fear I won't get a response, so I'l _try_ to keep it short.

I'm 33, male, in good health, exercise 4-5 times a week. I do smoke (less than half a pack a day, taking zyban) and until recently drank beer. In fact, a lot of beer, daily. I weaned myself off of that in fear that may have been part of what I've got going on.

I'm on about day 10 of huge pain in my abdomen, just below my sternum and a little to to the right. After normal CT scans and blood tests the ER doc said possible ulcer in my duodenum (7 days ago). 4 days ago my regular doc didn't think an ulcer, wanted an ultrasound of my gall bladder. Did that today. Totally normal. In fact, all my organs are. No stones, no abcess anywhere, no crystals in my pancreas.

While the pain has actually become bearable the last two days, it's still there. Regardless of what I eat, it's consistent. I've maintained a low fever (99.5 - 100.2) for the last 10 days. I've been almost as regular as usual, but not diarrhea and (despite feeling nausia from time to time) have not vomited. I've been taking "Protonix" for 9 days now and "Nexium" for the last 4 days.

The current diagnosis is a mystery. The best guess is a nasty stomach virus??? I'm supposed to wait a few more days and then check back in.

I don't understand in this day and age how something can cause so much pain you need to take painkillers just to dull the pain, it can last over a week with a fever, and nobody can figure out what it is.

I welcome any ideas, no matter how crazy.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:30 am

User avatar Hi castanza,
Ulcers usually cause no symptoms of fever but do cause considerable abdominal pain. Viral infections of course do cause temperature elevations. Ultrasounds may detect gallbladder abnormalities and stones but as I said in my other post, a HIDA scan would identify dysfunction. You may want to discuss this with your physician and by all means have a re-evaluation done to rule out any other abnormalities.
 castanza - Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:23 am

Thanks for all your info, really appreciate it. I looked up a HIDA scan and I don't think I had that. I did get iodine injected into me before the CT scan of my liver and gall bladder though, plus an ultrasound a few days later.. do you think the first one was a HIDA test?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:28 pm

User avatar Hi castanza,
The iodine you received prior to your CT scan is a CT scan with contrast (or IV Dye).
This is a different test than a HIDA scan. Discuss this with your physician, if he/she is considering your gallbladder to be the cause of your pain and symptoms this test will identify if dysfunction is present.
 markee_rae32 - Sun May 15, 2005 5:07 pm

Ok i know i'm only 16 but still i know a lot about pains in the stomach after what happened to me in january...

new years eve was my first time drinking...ever. and i had 15 straight in a row shots of bacardi and i didn't eat anything all night afterwards...later in the month i felt huge pains in my stomach and my parents took me to the hospital...they said i had severe pancreatitis(which is fatal if not treated) and they said it was from all the alcohol i drank..they removed my gull bladder and im now on several meds bcuz of it. get some help

|