News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: can a virus cause gall bladder pain?

castanza - Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:06 am

I'm 33, male, no history of ulcers and I eat pretty well. I'm coming of a week of sudden, intense gut pain about where the gall bladder is. It's still aches, but is feeling better each day. CT scans, blood tests, and ultrasounds have all turned up totally normal. One diagnosis was an ulcer and the other is that I have/had a virus. What I eat doesn't seem to change it one way or another, I've had a low fever (around 100) all week, and it's still tender to the touch (confirmed the tenderness is where the gall bladder is thanks to the radiologist).

If had an ulcer, why would I have a fever? But if it were a virus, why did I never throw up or have diahrea? Is it feeling better because I'm taking nexium, or because my body is beating a virus? Or is it neither?

I recently came of a long while of drinking probably too much beer on a daily basis - could this have somehow brought it on?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:19 am

User avatar Hi castanza,
I would be more inclined to consider gallbladder dysfunction verses a virus, although ulcers will certainly cause abdominal pain. My question for you, was a HIDA Scan done? Although the other tests detect anomalies a HIDA scan is definitive of gallbladder function itself.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 castanza - Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:20 am

I'm not sure.. what is a HIDA test? I know they took 4 or 5 viles of blood and did a lot of tests, which were all normal. I should call and ask maybe? I just find it strange that, while the pain is barely there as of today, it is still tender if I press on it (right on my gall bladder). I just don't see how something that bad can be such a mystery and, more so, just "go away". Is it possible that it's bacterial?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here